SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
house_in_the_woods

Pricing out Mini Splits

Danielle
7 years ago

After much consideration, my husband and I have come to the decision that mini splits will be the way to go this season when we update our heating & cooling (currently have baseboard electric, oil stove, and using window unit ac). We have nowhere to put duct work (and I have no desire to lose more space by building out) so central heating/cooling is out. We got an estimate a couple months ago from a Mitsubishi dealer for 4 indoor heads with 2 outdoor units to the tune of over $17,000 for our 1700 sq ft cape cod style home. The guy who did our estimate was fantastic and if I was basing our decision solely on likability, he'd have the job no questions asked. But WOW, we were not expecting that price tag. Does this sound right? We are leaning towards the Mitsubishi because it goes to -15 degrees F and we can get some real cold days in winter in PA. It's my understanding that the competitors will make our meter spin just like the baseboard. There's only one other Mitsu dealer in our area so we're going to call them for another estimate. We currently rely on an oil stove (which is malfunctioning and needs to go) and baseboard, so my heating costs are through the roof. Our development has no natural gas so that's not even an option. Is it likely that with a mini split we'll still have to keep a secondary heating element? We would probably use the oil stove until the tank is empty and then switch it out for a pellet. We have a semi-open layout, with cathedral ceiling in the living room and ceiling fans up top that circulates the air.

Here's an idea of what our layout is. You can see how we have an open hallway, so all the bedrooms open up to the main part of the house.

Comments (3)