Wine making 101

booberry85(NY5)

I was interested at trying wine making. I was hoping you could help me by suggesting some books, websites, starter kits, etc. The internet is a great pool of knowledge but a little overwhelming when first starting out. I have lots of wild Concord grapes growing in the back yard and am sick of making jam out of them. any help would be appreciated.

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vintnerd

Hi booberry!

I'm jealous of your backyard full of wild grapes!! Wine-making is a great use of those fruits :) Since you're using grapes for wine, you also don't need to add a lot of extra sugars/honey. I just posted an article about making your own wine here. It's pretty simple and straight-forward, especially if you're new into the vintner business. I hope it's helpful and that your wine turns out delightfully :)

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sclerid(6a/5b)

Jon Iverson's
Home Winemaking Step by Step: A Guide to Fermenting Wine Grapes

is an excellent book for beginner and intermediate home winemaking.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Room of the Day Room of the Day: Chilled Wine Box Makes a Fun Feature Wall
A narrow compartment of slate, glass, steel and cork adds surprise and utility to an open-plan room
Full Story
Holidays Wine and Gingerbread Houses Make a Good Pairing in Sonoma
Feast your eyes on sweet contest creations as we take a holiday stroll through California Wine Country
Full Story
Most Popular Cabinets 101: How to Choose Construction, Materials and Style
Do you want custom, semicustom or stock cabinets? Frameless or framed construction? We review the options
Full Story
Remodeling with a difference. Are you demanding? Do you appreciate the finer things? Would you like your home to... Read More
Cellko is a full service remodeler in Northern Virginia. We approach each project, from kitchen remodeling to... Read More