SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crystal_meaux

Can raspberries and beans live together, short term?

Crystal Meaux
7 years ago

Okay, this is probably a really dumb question. I am planting my first garden this year - it is mainly a container garden, but I have a chain link fence surrounding my yard so I'm going to grow pole beans on the west side. (I have a huge tree toward the east side of my yard that makes most of that side shaded 70% of the day. Is it worth even trying to grow beans on that side of the yard? Or could I try peas since they would be protected from the sun during the really hot part of summer?)

Here's my real question: I bought 3 raspberry plants that I plan to plant on the southwest end of my yard, which also gets full sun. I know that the raspberries won't put out any berries this year. Would it be okay to plant some beans right by the fence and then plant the raspberries in front of them? The beans could grow up the fence and make the soil more nitrogen-rich this year and then the raspberries could fly solo next year. Right now the raspberries are some really short sticks, so I don't think they would block the beans' sun.

Or is that completely crazy? Would the bean roots keep the raspberries from rooting well?

Comments (8)