SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Tire blow out without a spare-rental car woes!

neetsiepie
7 years ago

I recently had to rent a car for an out of town trip. Because I was going to pick up my 90 year old Aunt, I wanted to get a sedan that was low enough for her to get in and out of easily. So I rented a new Hyundai Accent.

My DD and her pug came along with me and we were travelling through in a very isolated, forested area that had no cell service. That is when we had a blow out.

I was able to pull over and I know how to change a tire-so imagine my surprise when I opened the trunk and found no spare, not even a little donut wheel, but instead an inflat-a-kit and a type of fix-a-flat stuff. The instructions said not to go more than 25 miles!

Because it was a blow out and not a slow leak type flat, we were stuck. Fortunately a good Samaritan stopped and gave us a ride to a store where I could call AAA for a tow to a tire shop (which was closed by the time we got there so we had to get a cab to take us to our hotel for the night).

Needless to say I was really angry. I had to pay out of pocket for the new tire and will be reimbursed by the rental company. The tow truck driver told me that new cars smaller than full size don't have spares any more! I'm pretty shocked, because given the circumstances we were in (rural area, no cell service, no houses for 15 or more miles in any direction) it could have turned out very, very badly for us. I could not have walked the miles to the store, given my limited mobility, and had it been later than it was, it would have been pitch black out and that store would have been closed.

It was a very frightening experience to say the least, and I'm going to insist the rental co reimburse me for the tow (even though I had AAA, it cost me a tow toward my membership). I'm just shocked that the newer cars don't have spares. That's VERY dangerous!

Comments (14)