Purple coneflower?

anita55(zone 6 NY)

I'm hoping someone will recognize this plant that is very small with no flowers yet. Is it a purple coneflower? How do you distinguish it from coneflower plants. Anybody help ? Thanks.

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

The foliage has a very echinacea-like appearance. But it also resembles the foliage of a rudbeckia, black-eyed Susan. They are very closely related. If it is tending to spread, more likely the rudbeckia than the echinacea :-)

Save    
anita55(zone 6 NY)
I know there was purple coneflowers growing there but the rudbeckia hirta has spread everywhere.
Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Agree with the above........it's one or the other, lol! I think I might be seeing some tripartite leaves there, so that would nudge it towards the Rudbeckia, perhaps something with R. trilobum genes in it.

Save    
texasranger2

Its definitely not Rudbeckia hirta which has rough leaves with little prickles all over them, they aren't shiny like that.

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

It looks like E purpurea, but that trifoliate does lean me toward R trilobum as Tom mentioned.

Save    
anita55(zone 6 NY)
Is it possible that it's two different plants growing together?
Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Sure, that could happen. These two-Rudbeckias and Echinacea-are adapted to similar conditions.

Save    
anita55(zone 6 NY)
I looked carefully at the stems - no hair. I think it is echinacea . Thank you all
Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Tex was only referring to R. hirta. Most other species of Rudbeckia lack this hairy or fuzzy foliage characteristic. You may still have Echinacea there-I think you do-but that factor neither proves nor disproves it.

Save    
anita55(zone 6 NY)
So it could be rudbeckia triloba? Ugh
Save    
texasranger2

Absolutely right, I was talking only about R. hirta, its the only Rudbeckia I grow. If you don't know what it is, you'd probably pull it because it looks are really feels like a weed--something rough that landed in your garden from 'out in the country'. Its not perennial, its well behaved and not an aggressive seeder.

Save    
anita55(zone 6 NY)
I planted R hirta and R triloba and echinacea Just can't distinguish what's what. I'll wait and see. Thanks all who gave guidance.
Save    
tuben

It could very well be both since I seeing a mix of leaves. It looks like my perennials at this moment all mixed up and looking a lot a like.

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Is there a problem? FWIW, most of the Rudbeckias, at least when planted in a "prairie" planting, are quick to come up, quick to make a show of themselves, and among the first to disappear as other more robust species take over. They don't tend to last.

Save    
anita55(zone 6 NY)

not sure what your question means. My post was simply asking for an ID of a plant

Save    
texasranger2

Seems to me Tom was responding the the 'ugh' opinion you made about the rudbeckia type rather than the original 'What is it?" question and was trying to reassure you they are aren't thugs or undesirable plants. Thats how I read it anyway......

Save    
anita55(zone 6 NY)
Ok thanks. I planted them bc I like them. The Ugh was there's no answer until they bloom. It's all good
Save    
texasranger2

Its OK, I beat up on Tom all the time. He's probably the smartest guy on here though. I certainly know I'm not the smartest.

Save    
tuben

The only problem I have ever had with Black Eye Susans is they tend to get a fungus that kills them off before the end of the summer. It happened in one spot, I removed them and have planted other plants there without a problem. Now they have taken over on bed and I constantly have to thin them out. I don't think I will plant them again. I just feel bad when I have to throw them out. I tried once to sell them and some other plants like Spireas at a garage sale for a dollar a plant for our food bank and no one cared to buy them. I ended giving them to a friend whose Mother lost her house and plantings down at the show to Sandy.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Flowers Get Coneflower Blooms All Summer Long
Plant these 5 native species to bring beauty to the garden — and pollen to the insects — from June through August
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Echinacea Pallida
Plant pale purple coneflower in perennial gardens or informal prairie plantings for spring blooms, bees and butterflies
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Ratibida Pinnata Flutters in the Breeze
This bright coneflower brings splashes of yellow to eastern U.S. prairie gardens and perennial borders
Full Story
Windows on Washington is a local, family owned company focused on improving the energy efficiency, comfort and... Read More
With over 30 years of experience in general contracting, Tin Cup Enterprises is a family owned and operated... Read More