SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina7a

Purple coneflower from seed

katrina7a
6 years ago

Hello all, pardon my lack of knowledge :) The only plants I've successfully started from seeds are basil and parsley! I have a few large outdoor pots that I was thinking of filling with coneflower this upcoming spring. I purchased a packet of seeds on a whim without having any experience growing. I've seen some suggestions on the internet about putting the seeds in a damp paper towel in a Ziploc in the fridge for 8+ weeks before planting. If this a necessary step for this type of store bought seeds? I'd have to get on that asap as spring is near!! Also, what do I do after the cool off (if necessary), should I plant them directly into the large pots where I want them to stay outdoors after frost (early March, south NJ 7a)? Start them indoors in small pots with/without greenhouse effect? Outdoors in small pots? Thanks in advance!

I also purchased a packet of goblin gaillardia seeds that I want for some other pots but that's a different post for a different day. I didn't see anywhere about the gaillardi seeds needing the cool off in the fridge period but feel free to chime in if they do :) thanks!!!

Comments (7)