SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Time to plant...tired of trying to get front garden "right"

caroline94535
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I had a grand plan to turn most of the front yard into a loose interpretation of a cottage garden. I live in an old, plain house in an old, plain town. Since I can't do too much to the house, I thought I'd overwhelm it with a large beautiful garden.

I wanted a big garden, lined with native granite rocks we can pick up from any of the thousands and thousands of acres of fields here.

DH drug rocks home from everywhere. He rototilled the area I wanted. We piled grass clippings, fall leaves, and composted horse maneuvers and straw on the area for three years.

Then I realized the area was far too big. I'd never fill it. I needed to divide and conquer. I sketched out a 6-7' wide curved path down the middle of the original bed, rearranged the boulders, and made two garden areas divided by a wide grassy path. There is an old white spruce tree at the left end of the path and my Purple Martin colony pole at the right in this photo.

I need to tweak the inside outline of the right hand bed, but for now I'm just wanting to fill them up. I can move rocks next spring.

I am in ND, zone 3-4, and here's my rough canvas. The soil is so rich, and soft, and wriggling with earthworms.

This shot above is from the front deck, looking east. DH built the obelisk; it's 27" square at the bottom rung, and is 54" tall. It will have a finial of some sort, once I decide just "what." It is set straight and is perfectly level. My photo makes it look wonky. It will be planted with yellow thumbergia and Jackmanii clematis.

It's very early Spring here, the grass is just greening, the trees are just getting their leaves, and even if I had plants, they would not be up or blooming yet.

Behind the obelisk is a large Marquee Moon daylily just coming up, and there is a Sarah Bernhardt peony in front of it. The rest of that garden is empty.

The right side of the garden has a large bright yellow iris, another Marquee Moon daylily ready to set in the ground, a clump of chives, dianthus in the left corner, and a Stella de Oro lily in dire need of dividing.

The old wood planter will hold geraniums. I want to put two matching peonies at the two gardens' ends closest to the road.

Can you offer any suggestions as to a "plan?"

The only rose I could attempt is the wild-type prairie rose. They are lovely, but I think they only bloom twice.

The common plants do best here - petunias, geraniums, cosmos, dianthus, lilies, peonies, most herbs, etc. We have a vegetable garden on the south side of the house and a hosta/bleeding hearts bed to the north side.

I would love to mix peppers, herbs, and even two or three tomatoe vines in with the flowers.

The photo below is looking west from the road to the garden beds and house.

When DH build the deck/porch area I had planned to smother it with five clematis vines so and asked him to build it up to the door level; he did. Then I learned he was not going to have vines all over his deck. It's been about four years and I still haven't talked him into even one clematis.

Had I known that I would have put the deck area near ground level.

Comments (16)

Sponsored