SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfeathersmith

Sunburn? (Schoenorchis gemmata, in filtered bright morning light)

J Feathersmith
7 years ago

I've had this plant for a little over a year, it's always been in my bathroom, which has 1 east-facing window, with some kind of coating on it that prevents direct light getting in.

Photo from March:

Two or 3 weeks ago, I decided to move it to a different spot in the bathroom, thinking it might be happier with brighter light. It's been growing so slowly. (Also, I've been hanging it off the board my staghorn fern is mounted to, and the fern just grew a large new frond, which was about to intersect with the orchid's mount.)

Here's a terrible photo showing how close the new location is to the window:

It's full spring and we've had LOTS of gorgeous bright sunny mornings.

I took the plant down today to check on watering, and noticed the edges of one leaf now have dark kinda purplish coloring along the edges of one leaf, and the tip of another leaf is entirely dark, almost black; the photo washes it out some.

None of the photos I've found online show this species with dark coloration on the leaves, only vibrant green; I know some orchids do develop this kind of coloring (purplish or brownish) in bright light and it's totally okay, but the all-dark leaf tip particularly worries me. In the last month, I've been watering when the moss gets crispy - though previously I've done less frequent watering and it's survived that, so I'm not sure what is "best" from the plant's perspective, and maybe I'm overwatering now.

Does anyone have familiarity with this species to know? Thanks!

Comments (6)