SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

a few pictures from the backyard this morning

The pace of plants hitting their spring stride has accelerated this week! I did a WALAT (walk around looking at things) with the dogs this morning. Here are a few pictures and comments:

The astilboides - one of my favorite plants - is just emerging along the north alley fence. There is one leaf/stem that has strayed outside its bounds and will need removing. You can see the neighbours' garden oon the other side of the fence - our gardens sort of merge along that fence....

There is lots of other plants filling in and starting to flower in the north alley now.

(The Goldipoo - Golden Retriever X standard poodle - dog belongs to a neighbour and is just visiting for a few days....)

All that naked fence in the first picture will soon be covered in clematises once they get growing again.

Marsh marigolds are in full bloom on the south side of the shed and into the 'wet corner' area. A couple of red trilliums grow there too. They all go dormant after flowering and I need to put something there to cover the empty space. I'm thinking an Empress Wu hosta might be good - the one I added elsewhere in the garden two years ago is too close to a path so I might move that one to this area.

(The stump is the remains of the pussywillow that was removed late last fall.)

The lawn in the backyard suffered again from not enough snowcover in winter and too much dog-applied high-nitrogen fertilizer! Over-seeding and some watering to dilute the nitrogen is called for....

We're a few days away from peak bloom time for the white trilliums. The white ones do very well here. There are lots of seedlings. We leave lots of leaf litter - and a few dead trunks - and they seem to like that:

The red ones aren't nearly as happy/vigorous here:

Sadly, I think our 'Wolf Eyes' variegated dogwood didn't survive the winter - lots of crispy dead bits....! We really like it so may try another one, perhaps putting it near where we had the dead pine cut down in the fall. I've been trying to decide what to put in its place and it appears that the dogwood might be the answer.

Comments (13)