SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evergreenmike

Evergreen Landscape for Maryland z7

evergreenmike
7 years ago

I'm currently landscaping my fairly small front yard (approx. 2k sqft) in Baltimore, MD zone 7. I'm looking for any edible evergreens hardy to my zone. Any growth habits or edible parts are good. Currently I'm planning 5 different hedges: Elaeagnus Ebbingei (silverberry), Vaccinium Ovatum (evergreen huckleberry), Gaultheria Shallon (Salal), Camellia Sinensis (tea), and Osmanthus Fragrans (fragrant tea olive). I have 2 small feature trees: Ilex Vomitoria (yaupon holly) and Camellia Oleifera (teaa oil camellia). And I have quite a few groundcovers: Viola Odorata (sweet violet), Gaultheria Procumbens (wintergreen), Vaccinium Vitis-Idae (lingonberry), Chamaemelum Nobile (Roman chamomile), Fragaria Vesca (alpine strawberry), and 4 different Thymus species (Rose petal, orange balsam, nutmeg, and lemon thyme).

My garden is a sheltered nook; a South facing hill with a picket fence at the top, on the North side of the house. I'd love to have a vine for an arch, but the only options I've come up with are Lonicera Japonica, which is really only semi evergreen and invasive; Rosa Banksiae, I'm not sure if it's even semi evergreen in zone 7 and though all roses are edible I haven't seen anything about the taste (white blooming is said to smell like violet so I'd think flower petals would taste similar), Rubus Henryi, the only notes on edibility are from pfaf.org and I haven't found much information on it at all, and last is Akebia Quinata, which would likely be only semi evergreen and unless the flowers are edible, most seem to agree that the fruit is bland.

The top of the hill in front of the fence is completely unsheltered and will likely take a lot of cold North wind in winter, so any especially hardy plants would be nice.

Comment

Sponsored