SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_socal

Fast-growing shade vine, preferably evergreen?

jane_socal
19 years ago

A Maryland friend needs help with the following problem:

"I have a problem fence in my backyard. It is quite ugly, approximately 50 feet in length, and 6 feet high. It is chain link, with white and turquoise aluminum strips worked into it. One end is partially crushed, where a tree fell on it. Right now it is largely hidden by a profusion of greenery that dies back in the winter. Unfortunately it's got a lot of poison ivy in it, and I'm extremely allergic.

I must do something with it, because it's ruining the looks of the back yard. I can't do without it (dog), and I don't want to go to the expense of replacing it. But in consultation with my neighbor back there, we think we'd like to get rid of the jungly vines that are there now--just RoundUp the whole mess, on both sides of the fence. Then I'd spray paint the fence dark green, and then we'd plant something fast-growing on both sides--some kind of flowering vine, perhaps, but something that will stay green in the winter, if possible.

Is there such a vine? I don't know what the pH of the soil is back there, but it has good drainage and is very shady."

Any thoughts are appreciated. Plus, is RoundUp the best way for him to get rid of such a vine, and will it persist in the soil?

Comments (15)

Sponsored