SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

This narrow console for my foyer?

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Ever since considering a pricier Hooker console that I really loved (I posted about it awhile back), and determining it was waaaaaaay too big for my space, I haven't been able to get the thought out of my head of finding something else that would work. I really like the idea of a very narrow table in the area marked with a red circle on the two photos below (same area viewed from different directions), on which to place a little lamp and perhaps one or two small(ish) decorative items. DH was initially insisting that this area be kept completely clear, but now says he's open to the idea of a narrow console - so long as the size wouldn't make it easy to bump into.

I've found this very simple iron and glass piece and am considering it. At a mere 10" deep, I think it would be ideal for my intended purpose. It's 36" wide (same width as the painting that would hang above it) and 30" tall which seems to be pretty standard height for these types of tables. I really like the finish on the piece and the thick glass top. What do you think ... should I give it a whirl? I can always return it if it doesn't work out. It's on sale right now and I'd like to pick it up, unless the general consensus is that it'd be just awful. ;-)

ETA: Here's the ORB fixture in the front part of the foyer - simple lines:

Comments (67)

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I love the table and hope it works in your space. I like the idea of the light from whatever lamp you use shining down through it. Yay!

• lisaam
    7 years ago

Yes, it should be just right!

• Related Discussions

Long narrow hallway decorating ideas please!

Q

Comments (5)
    Check Ballard Designs, they have several less than 11". Also, Pier One has a nice 10" deep console. http://www.pier1.com/lincoln-console-table/2707854.html#q=Console&start=1 I tried to link to the Ballard consoles but got cut off from my post. Just search "console" on their site. Here's one: http://www.ballarddesigns.com/martin-3-door-console/376953 There are several more: http://www.ballarddesigns.com/lafayette-44-22-console/362696 I have this one in our narrow entry hall: http://www.ballarddesigns.com/castellon-console/304800 I was happy with the finish and the quality but I did not pay that much for it! There is a post on this forum by TurquioseRose that shows a photo of the Pier One console in her narrow hallway. Not sure how to find it. seagrass
    ...See More

Living room with foyer/"entryway" is a console a good idea? PIC HEAVY!

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes, a narrow console table would look perfect there. I have this one from Ballard Designs...it is less than 11 inches deep!! They often have 25% off sales. Good luck! https://www.ballarddesigns.com/martin-2-door-console/furniture/dining-kitchen/buffets-sideboards/376952
    ...See More

Foyer console decorating ideas

Q

Comments (15)
    The cabinet is great, leave it as is. Remove the weird flesh coloured stools and the staggered framed art (never, never, never stagger art). Replace the mirror with a big round one with a narrow dark metal frame. Replace the rug with something with a pow of colour. Decorate your cabinet with a couple great lamps (be careful with the scale) and a big decorative bowl. And that's it. You don't need to add anything else to this great entry way. Don't over-decorate...
    ...See More

Narrow Entry Foyer looks up to 20' Ceiling. Lighting Fixture CONUNDRUM

Q

Comments (3)
    You can go larger on the light fixture that you think you can. Typically you can add another 2-3 inches when you are dealing with a two story ceiling compared to a lower ceiling, because the high proportions will trick the eye into thinking that the fixture is smaller than it is. For example, see this article: https://www.1800lighting.com/blog/entryway-foyer/choose-perfect-light-foyer.html This may open up your style options. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

It looks perfect for your space - hope you're happy with it when you get it home!

• User
    7 years ago

Keep the packaging when you order it. I had a small hall table in a 52" wide hallway and moved it after a year. It's been packed up waiting for another place or another house. In the end it was just visual clutter. There's something lovely about a long stretch of uncluttered hallway.

• rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

Love the table - it's beautiful - but in that narrow a space, with those corners? No way. I wouldn't do it. My thighs would be bruised up at least once a week. Think about how many times you'll be coming through with arms full of groceries and not see that corner. And if you have kids, it's stitches waiting to happen, sorry to say. Do they make that style in a demilune?

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the table a lot. I don't think I care for the only lamp I have that will fit on it, though. There's plenty of room to walk around it. It's not an obstruction at all. But I have no idea what type of lamp should go here now.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

maybe something lower, squattier (is that a word LOL) that would be below the painting? Table looks good!

• User
    7 years ago

Try the lamp you have on the living room end table to see if that shape is a better fit.

• akl_vdb
    7 years ago

The table looks great! And yes, maybe the little lamp from the living room?

• User
    7 years ago

The table looks like the right size. I would put lamp at other end of table and lower the artwork. I know you have the pieces hanging evenly, but it needs to connect more with the table and since the other two hang in the arched niches, it will be okay to lower this one.

• rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

Looks much less daunting in the actual space. Very nice! Do you need/use the lamp? Maybe swap out the lamp for a bowl or basket for keys? Otherwise, I'd go with a smaller accent lamp.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

Love the table and it seems to be a perfect fit!

• sis2two
    7 years ago

That table looks perfect there!

• User
    7 years ago

Table is perfect. I would "borrow" lamps from other rooms to see if you can find something that will work and then you'll have a better idea of what to look for.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

If you try Allison's idea of lowering the painting you might try a nice picture light above. I think that would give a beautiful glow for the hall.

https://www.pegasuslighting.com/battery-operated-picture-lights.html

• User
    7 years ago

Either the table is too low or the painting is hung too high, but there's too much wall space between the table and painting. Proportionally, need a very tall buffet lamp there but it would be in a position to tip over too easily. I still prefer the space without the table, because it doesn't really add anything.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, the whole purpose of this is because I want lamplight in the foyer.

I really don't want to lower the painting. It's perfectly in line with everything else in the foyer and I know DH will really pitch a fit if I even suggest it, so let's just say that's not an option. The mica lamp in the living room is too big for the table. I ran to Home Goods and picked up a lamp but it's too bedroom looking now that I have it home. I also ran into Target and bought this one. I'd seen it before and thought it was a neat little lamp. I kinda like it, although I'm not sure what else to use on the table. DH thinks it's too big.

I don't want to use a lamp that's going to stick up over the painting. That's what bothered me about the first one I tried. I don't want one that's too wimpy either though.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nope, that lamp is going back too. DH just said to try it without a lamp - negating my whole purpose - but I arranged some of my special Native American baskets and I hate to admit but actually I like this even better than having a lamp here. (DH maintains that we don't NEED lamps with our recessed lighting. He doesn't have the same love of a glowing lamp that I do.) Anyway, if I keep the table I will likely use it thusly.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I haven't responded to each comment but I have definitely considered each suggestion. After all this, I'm very pleased with the table and baskets. It feels like it carries our home's personality a little further towards the entry.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I like the lamp you own! Perfect on the table! And DH is right - dont start cluttering it up with other things.

• chispa
    7 years ago

Do you have dimmers on your recessed lights and foyer chandelier ... you get more of that "glow" when they are dimmed down. Dimmers are easy to buy and install ... thanks Dad for teaching me that skill!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

I very much like the table with just the baskets. It's a dramatic look that totally fits with the painting above it and the personality of the rest of your house. I frankly like this much better than with a lamp. This may not have been your original purpose, but to me it looks so right.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

If you need a lamp I would keep looking. For now though the baskets look good as they carry the idea/theme of your three pictures. It looks like an art gallery wall. The lamp gets in the way.

Actually, if you were going to do a lamp I would look to your artwork as inspiration and not the table. I would also try placing it at the other end of the table.

• User
    7 years ago

I do like the lamp idea you had in mind originally. I think what I didnt like about the ones you posted was the lamp shade. I think the shade should maybe mimic the table and be rectangular and slim instead of round and squatty. Also the placement would look best centered on the table. Here is an example of one, perhaps not your taste but shows you the shape I am talking about.

• rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

Baskets look great! Better than it did with the lamp. Beautiful collection.

• User
    7 years ago

I like the table, Jen ... and I would want some sort of "glow" there, too. Sorry if this was mentioned, but what about an uplight type of lamp? This is mine in the kitchen:

This way, it wouldn't have to be the tallest item on the table to work around, and you'd have a nice little bit of light there.

• eandhl2
    7 years ago

I would love to see your white/ivory lamp centered under the picture. & turned on. Or any other lamp that ended just below the painting & would have some up lighting

• Oakley
    7 years ago

Definitely a lamp there, but one that uses no more than 60w. I like the uplight idea a lot! 60w adds the best light for an area like that.

Here's my lamp on the desk, it has a rectangle base. You might be able to find one similar so it fits the depth of the table.

• User
    7 years ago

We went on a local art hop last night and in one of the shops I saw some really cool lamps ... not anything like you'd find in HomeGoods or Target. Maybe take a look at similar stores in your area.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

The arrangement you have on there now is sooo perfect!!!

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

If you decide down the road on a picture light check my link above. You can get battery ones with a remote.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I like the basket arrangement and it works well with the style of the surrounding rooms. I know you wanted a lamp and I agree - there is something about the glow of lamplight - overhead lighting will never compare. But maybe this spot is better without one - especially because of the cats and the cord. It looks good Jen!!

• eandhl2
    7 years ago

It does look very nice, I just knew you wanted a light but your DH brings up a valid point.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I like the table a lot, but I'm not sure I like it there. A clean open hallway has its appeal.

Since you are going with the baskets instead of a light, i.e., the table surface is functioning as a shelf would, the table legs now seem superfluous and what I see first, rather than what is sitting on the glass surface.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! And I promise it looks much better in person than what these pictures can convey. :-)

• always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

That table works perfect there, nice choice Turquoise :-)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

I just want to say again that I think this is a perfect look, something to please the eye as you walk along the hallway. I don't think any kind of lamp would look appropriate there. This has a theme and no one would question why it's there. A lamp there to me just looks odd.

• diymom79
    7 years ago

What about a lantern with flameless candle inside. You can even change the color candle. Like these.

• erinsean
    7 years ago

Love your table and I really liked the first lamp you had on there....I am like you..love the glow at night. Good job on getting the table.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

While I also like unobstructed hallways, your table seems to fit just fine. Given you are worried about the cats, I think I would live with the unbreakable basket arrangement for a while to see how the kitties react. They look great anyway. And later you could make a change.

• amykath
    7 years ago

It is perfection! I love the way you decorated it in the last photo you posted of it. You have great taste!

• lisaam
    7 years ago

The table looks good, if you'd like a small lamp for warm glow, like what msgg posted, look for some sort of an accent lamp sort of like a salt lamp, but not a salt lamp.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    7 years ago

I live on this forum but don't post often. I want to thank TurquoiseRose for sharing her hunt for the perfect console to put in her hallway/ foyer. I've been searching for years for a similar piece to fill a blank space in our family room, restricted by a French door that opens against the wall so not much depth possible. I just ordered this from Pier One and want to give you a shout out!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

seagrass

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks again for the comments and ideas. I doubt we will add a lamp now - DH really doesn't want one there and I'm pleased with the current arrangement.

seagrass, hope you'll like the table when yours arrives! There's not much to it - 4 iron pieces and the glass top - but it's a decent little thing. I really like the thickness of the glass.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

No lamps, it doesn't need anything else. Looks perfect now. You did a fab. job, I really love it.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

MizGG, I think we must have the same tumbled marble backsplash. I love it! Would you tell me the source for your uplight?

• User
    7 years ago

Thanks, Holly-Kay! I'm sorry, I don't remember where I got the lamp, it came home with me about 12 yrs ago. I used to have it on our bar cart, but like it in the kitchen now--except for the plug! Need to figure out a way to hide it.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

Thank you for responding Miz. I think it looks great. I want a lamp for my kitchen counter but it's low on my priority list.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

I just wanted to say it's really becoming a home. When you first got there, it was great, don't get me wrong, but I can see you're finding the home's personality and your fit. I really like how it's coming along. The mobile was awesomely perfect for that space! Hanging the pictures was a big step that way, now, you're setting them off? Really cool. Makes me smile.