SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpmom

Corner Pantry - make it disappear

jpmom
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We finally started our kitchen update.

I've always liked having a corner pantry (great storage) - but never realized how much it sticks out like a sore thumb until I started taking all the photos of my kitchen - uploading them here - and seeing how prominent it is in the room.

Here it is pre-demo:

Here it is now:

Cabinets will be Simply White.

Island painted dark charcoal

Island top marble-like quartz (very subtle veining)

All of my uppers will be taken to the ceiling like this:

I'm contemplating doing something like this with the corner. Treating it like part of the cabinetry. They suggested taking the trim piece (about 12 inches) all the way around the corner. It will die into the corner at the window.

Montgomery · More Info

Here is another photo so you can see side by side:

Note — I have no crown moulding in my kitchen/FR. The windows/transoms didn't allow for this.

The cooktop wall will be tiled all the way to the ceiling - including the small space above the window.

I will also replace the door with a two panel - so it looks less busy.

I am not replacing the island light. Just doing pendants over the peninsula. So the space in the main part of my kitchen will be open - no visual obstruction over the island.

So - what do you think? The whole corner - door - plus wall to left and right of the door painted to match the cabinets. The window trim also painted simply white (as it's a bright white now)

Hood is stainless. Then there's a 20" wide cabinet to the right of the hood. (same width as the window)

***The one concern I have is using so much crown to wrap the corner. It's 12 inches above my cabinets. But since it will all be the same color, I think it could look ok. It's just hard for me to visualize.

Comments (37)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

At least it's not between the sink and cooktop. If you like the function, then keep it as is--I think it will blend in with the new color scheme, and even now, if the door and trim had been the same wood as the cabinets, it would blend better.

What color are you using on the walls? With the pantry door and trim matching the cabinet color, I think you could probably use a light paint on the pantry walls. Anything dark would highlight the white door and trim.

jpmom thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • anitamo
    8 years ago

It looks more open and brighter just by opening up the range wall! Once the cabinets are painted white, the pantry is going to blend right in, as shown in the one photo you posted. I'm excited for you and looking forward to seeing pictures as you move along.

jpmom thanked anitamo
  • Related Discussions

Will corner pantry work for this kitchen layout?

Q

Comments (1)
    What do you not like about the current pantry location? To me, your biggest layout "issue" is the distance between the sink and the refrigerator. I would add a prep sink between the refrigerator and the cooktop, which would then be the exact layout I had in my previous home, and it was great.
    ...See More

diamond shaped island and corner pantry

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks. The island functions fine. We had orginally talked with her about painting the cabinets white and a few other house projects (including refinishing the floors, turning the dining room into an office and adding a small storage room) I wanted to get her opinion primarily on paint colours, lighting and what else we could do to update. I was expecting new backspash but not new counters and cabinets to be part of that. But again, since we are refinishing the floors we need to make these decisions now. I'll measure when I get home re: distance from pantry to island.
    ...See More

Food pantry cabinet to fit into corner: design help needed!

Q

Comments (10)
    Just reread specs and I think that the Rev-a-Shelf swing out system will work as it requires a 30" minimum width (I have 37"). That would leave up to 7 inches for the right hand door to swing open: is that enough? Perhaps I could have a pull out pantry or filler in those 6-7"? Rev-A-Shelf 4WP Series Wood Swing-out Pantry--this requires a minimum of 30" in width. I have just over 37" but need to be able to open the right door so wondering if the pull outs below, if placed to the right would work? this is the Rev-a-Shelf swing out pantrythis is the Rev-a-Shelf "filler" (above) and below is the Rev-a-Shelf pullout pantry (there is a wood option and a metal option: any opinions on what is better?) This comes as narrow as just over 4" so not sure what the difference between this and the filler really is--anyone know? And is there a different company that makes a better product or equally good product that I should look into? Thank you for your help
    ...See More

Is a corner pantry the best use of this space?

Q

Comments (14)
    mama goose, thank you for your detailed suggestions. I'm intrigued by the corner appliance storage, although I'd want to modify it for something other than appliances - I have enough storage for small appliances in the rest of the kitchen. I have 4 kids, so food storage is the priority! One of the windows in the plan is existing and I'd prefer not to move it, so the range needs to stay. We're doing custom cabinets, so I'll talk to the cabinet maker to get the largest drawers possible. There's a hallway behind the fridge, but we're working with our builder to get our non-counter depth fridge flush with the counters for a more built-in look. Questions: Would eliminating the corner pantry mess with the symmetry too much? I want to focus on function but I also don't want it to look super awkward. Is it always the case that cabinets provide more storage than pantries? I've heard a lot of people say that, but I can get so much in my pantry and I don't see how I could get more in cabinets. I added some better pictures to my post.
    ...See More
  • johnsoro25
    8 years ago

I would definitely paint the pantry door and trim the same color as the adjacent wall, not sure if cabinet color or wall color would be better. But either way, it would help camouflage the pantry door.

jpmom thanked johnsoro25
  • nicole___
    8 years ago

Just an idea...instead of hiding it...accentuate it. I LOVE pretty pantry doors.

jpmom thanked nicole___
  • sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Are you still sure you want to work around your existing layout? I remember your project from the beginning and it just seems to me you're in really deep to just be investing in everything except improving the floor plan.

• jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone.

The wall paint in the kitchen will stay the same - as it runs through to the FR.

So, maybe one way to handle it is to paint the door and trim the same as the cabinets, but leave the surrounding wall the same. If I do this, should I also paint the window the same as the cabinets? For continuity, I think I should.

Benjesbride - I like my layout.

• romy718
    8 years ago

I like the idea of continuing the crown above the door and around the corner. I'd also paint the crown, door & window trim Simply White. The wall could be painted Simply White or the wall color. It's a small area to repaint so you could try both & see what you prefer.

jpmom thanked romy718
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

I like my layout.

Did it occur to you that you might like it more if it was even more functional than what you have now? That maybe if you removed the island barrier that you wouldn't be walking around the island and cooktop every time you had to remove food from the fridge to prep at the sink?

Everyone seems to like their layout until they work in a kitchen that is really functioning well. What you have now is what I had in my old kitchen before I redid it. The difference before and after was night and day.

jpmom thanked cpartist
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not changing the layout.

I like my island. I like the storage.

Remove items from fridge - place on island. I like the landing spot.

Walking around doesn't bother me.

Bring in groceries - place on island to organize and put away. Very convenient.

Removing the island will damage the floor. Not interested in repairing it.

But thanks for the suggestion.

• bpath
    8 years ago

On the right side of the pantry, can you add an actual cabinet door that opens to a coffee station or to a spice cabinet...or both, one flush with the countertop and the spices and oils above...the spices and oils would be so convenient to the cooktop.

jpmom thanked bpath
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

bpathome, someone else posted a pic of that set-up recently, but I don't recall who it was. She had pull-outs on both sides of the pantry, at counter height, IIRC. Anyone else remember?

jpmom thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

If you don't prefer this over your present configuration, I totally understand. Just wanted to better communicate what I mean by improving the layout.

Remove peninsula and create a larger island with seating and sink, eliminating barrier between fridge and sink. Those seated at counter don't have their backs to folks in the sitting area.

(Of course the corner would be different because you wouldn't have a walk in and you have a window, but this is the basic gist of an example of an improved fridge/range/sink layout that eliminates the barrier island.)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    8 years ago

Would you consider moving the refrig to the end of the counter where the pantry now starts, having a normal corner next to the ovens, and then building in a pantry where the refrig is now?

• jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Unfortunately, we aren't changing the floor plan.

We are, however, lowering the peninsula to make it counter height.

It may not be the ideal layout - but we are keeping it.

We don't have the budget for the changes you recommend. We are maxed out now.

I really just want feedback on the corner pantry - whether or not I should paint the whole corner, add the moulding, etc.

• L W
    8 years ago

When we pulled the island from an acid finished oak floor, it could have been finished with screen and refinish, not a complete sand and finish. The removal of the pantry walls and repair was a fill in. Consider giving the cabinets to RESTORE or have someone pay you to remove so they can reuse them.

The pantry will look nice framed out and painted as suggested.

jpmom thanked L W
  • practigal
    8 years ago

I think when you change the cabinets and unify it all with molding (I do like that etched glass door-but the pantry door and handle should be styled similarly to the new cabinet doors) you won't really notice it. I think you are really focused on it and it doesn't stand out that much. It might be nice if it did-think big colorful mosaic-but that would be my taste, not yours. That passthrough from counter to pantry to get the coffee pot out of the way after the morning coffee is a nice idea too.

jpmom thanked practigal
  • romy718
    8 years ago

I have a "barrier island" about the same size as jpmom's. It is my prep area & it's really not large enough to be a true barrier. Maybe 3 extra steps.

jpmom thanked romy718
  • akl_vdb
    8 years ago

To minimize the look of the corner pantry (we have one too, takes up so much room but holds so much stuff!!) I'd just paint it the same colour as the cabs will be, including the trim.

We're going to do our trim the same colour as the cabs, and have our door stained to match the hardwoods. To break up the wood so it's not all cabs. We also have uppers to the right and left of our pantry though.

jpmom thanked akl_vdb
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

Sandy, I think your kitchen is what Mamagoose was thinking of. Very nice!

JPmom, I was just playing with a similar idea of adding a transom window above the pantry door. I think it would balance nicely with the tall window.

Maybe just carry the very top piece of crown around the ceiling and connect it to the window by extending the window trim up to the ceiling. It would eliminate that small sliver of tile. I would also make the side window trim fatter so it hits the wall on the left so you lose that sliver as well.

Something like this? I didn't finish the one side connecting to the oven cabs, but hopefully you get the idea.

Here's the only photo I could find, but notice how the top of the transom window aligns with the other window. With yours it would be higher, just under the crown piece.

jpmom thanked rebunky
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

I like the dark hardware on the doors of these two. This first one reminded me of your color scheme.

jpmom thanked rebunky
  • Sandy
    8 years ago

I took a current photo with the light on and the coffee maker out to give you an idea. Looking at the transom design in the photo it looks strange, but it ties into the mural I have on the wall behind the stove.

jpmom thanked Sandy
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sandy - that's really pretty. And I LOVE that coffee maker pass through door. How genius!

Rebunky - thank you for that mock-up. I do like the idea of a transom there. I'm just not certain about carrying the molding all the way over. There is something about my cooktop wall being all tile - even in that little space above the window - that I really love. That photo you posted of the white kitchen with the window to the left of the pantry is just beautiful. Makes the case that corner pantries don't have to be sore thumbs! And they kept the wall color the same - which I really do like. It looks like the window trim is also the same as the cabinets.

Would it look strange if the kitchen window was the same as the cabinets, but my other windows in the adjoining FR were "super white" like the rest of my house?

• bpath
    8 years ago

Will there be a new cabinet to the right of the hood? It might look nice to continue the molding across to that cabinet, interrupted by the hood of course. The window would cut into the molding if it is 12" but I think that would be okay.

Sandy's coffee station is what I was thinking. I think someone else has the coffeemaker on a rollout tray from a similar cabinet. You could even make it taller for access to oils and spices, or have a spice rack mounted inside the cabinet door. But I think I'd rather have a second cabinet above the coffee station instead of one big one, so that if you have stuff on the counter while cooking, you can still get to the oils and spices.

Sandy, the pantry transom is so pretty!

jpmom thanked bpath
  • User
    8 years ago

Do you still have the cabinets you removed? Maybe a carpenter could make a pantry door using the cabinet doors. At least everything would then be raised panels.

jpmom thanked User
  • dan1888
    8 years ago

If you compare the measurements of the pantries used as examples to yours, you see your left front corner extends out into the room. It doesn't angle back to the depth of the oven wall like the others. If you reframe that and reuse your door the cost would involve the flooring match as the most difficult component. It should solve the 'look' problem.

jpmom thanked dan1888
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

bp - Yes, there will be a new cabinet. I don't want to have any molding on that wall - as I really like the idea of the tile going all the way to the ceiling.

Allison - we donated the cabinets to Restore. But I think we are going to get a new door - with 2 raised panels. It won't look as busy.

dan - ah, yes. I see what you mean. All those little details. Unfortunately, it's not in the plan to reframe the door. I'll need to deal with it through paint and changing out the door.

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this project!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    8 years ago

Sometimes it's better to not spend money that only partly solves a problem area, and instead be a bit patient and save up the money to truly solve the problem.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

I think it was so noticable because it was white, lighter than both your wall color and cabinets. Once it is the same color and style of the cabinet doors it will blend in.

Like the pic of the really tall door rebunky posted, but if you don't want to reframe the door, I think the cabinet panel would make it look very cohesive.

jpmom thanked MDLN
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, mdln. Something to consider, for sure.

I know I can make this work. There are so many decisions - sometimes too many, actually. This isn't our forever home - and we only plan to be here another 5 years. Aside from getting an entirely different look in a white kitchen - I'm super excited about my new appliances and countertops.

Suzanne - I don't look at my pantry as a problem - just a bit of a challenge. You have no idea as to our situation with money or otherwise. But thank you for the "advice".

• Yuan Gong Hamilton ON CANADA 6b
    8 years ago

You could strip it and then use boiled linseed oil. Google Gransfors Bruks axes. But the problem is once you do, you'll redo your whole house...

• rebunky
    8 years ago

With bringing the whole 12" trim plus crown across the pantry bump out to the corner, my worry is that the "crown" part will overlap the window casing in the top left corner. Similar like you old cabinets' crown to the right of the window did in the photo above. I don't know, maybe it is the photo angle, but I'm just having a hard time picturing it not hitting.

Based on the two example photos of the built up crown above, it looks like at least half of it is the crown piece that starts to protrude out. The top of the window trim looks too high for that large of a crown to not hit.

Here is a thought. what if you removed the window trim altogether and just have tile around it with no wood trim. It would give you more of the "whole wall of tile" effect.

Normally, I would want all the windows to match trim, but since the top line of the kitchen window looks to be the only one that is placed up higher then the rest in the next room, it might actually look planned. It would cost a bit more in tile and labor, but should not be a crazy amount.

You could try removing the trim for free right now just to get a feel for if you would like it or not. Then maybe add a piece of cardboard or whatever to mimick the 12" trim and the 6" or so that sticks out to make sure it clears the corner. Try it both with or without trim to see what works best.

Right now your kitchen is pretty traditional looking, but I think it will lean more transitional once you paint the cabinets, add new light fixtures, and especially once you add that very modern looking chimney style hood. It going to be great!

I couldn't find a good example of the tiled in window next to a SS chimney hood, but here's sort of what I was picturing for the tiled window look.

Thoughts? :-)

jpmom thanked rebunky
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rebunky - I absolutely love this idea.

If I did this - I'm thinking I wouldn't take that 12" trim piece around the pantry to the wall. My thought is just painting the pantry door the same as the cabs. I could always paint the entire wall space later.

But taking the trim off the window is really a great idea. Thank you so much!

• Gibson Zone 9 (Central Valley, CA)
    8 years ago

I like the idea of putting in a lovely pantry door - I would select something with similar colors to cabinets and same wall color. It will blend better and look really great with a pretty door.

jpmom thanked Gibson Zone 9 (Central Valley, CA)
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Pamela. I've been looking at new doors. I'm not sure I like the kinds with the frosted glass. There are some really pretty ones if the style of my kitchen was more cottage style. But I'm leaning toward transitional.

• smm5525
    8 years ago

I haven't read all the comments, just the first half. When we were contemplating keeping our corner pantry, the cabinet maker suggested getting panels similar to the door style we would use so it looks more like cabinetry. There are a few images posted above.

• smm5525
    8 years ago

Like this