SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
h17925

When should I have old leach field removed?

Derek Smitherton
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Bought property that has a septic system in place. (Was installed in 99) Leach field is compacted, I want the tank on the opposite side (will hopefully be able to upgrade from 1000 to 1500.) and a bit further south, and I want the lateral line going the opposite way.

So long story short, I am going to be putting in a new septic system, but not any time soon. I want to bring in dirt to my cleared area where I plan to build. My plan is to re-use the leach field. I called the environment quality department and they said I can re-use my leach field. Which is great news.

So now I have a dilemma. Do I go through the steps to have the leach field removed now and then bring in dirt to reach the elevation I want or do I bring in dirt now and just bury the leach field and have it removed later?

The leach field has to come out. Abandoning it isn't an option.

Will any of this affect the soil test that I eventually have done? Should I have the soil test done now so I don't end up wasting money, and if I have the test done now will they get an accurate read? Or is it better to have that done after I bring in the dirt? I know some wise guy will come along and say, "Local regulations!" Yes, they matter. But I'm not installing the septic system yet. It is a long way down the road. I need to bring in dirt and I need to know should that happen before or after the leach field in the ground comes out. Which is the better method?

Obviously I'll have someone come in and design my system, get the permits, install it, etc, etc, etc. But I am not there yet. I simply want to add dirt so I can get the elevation how I need it and get a retaining wall up on the west side.

Again, to be clear. I am not asking about installing or designing a septic system at this time. And obviously I won't take anything anyone says here to heart. I will call the department of environment quality and ask them questions to be sure once I have a bit more knowledge on everything. I am asking about the removal of a leach field and advice on planning ahead while doing so for a septic system that one day will be installed. Right now I just want to get dirt added.

Thanks.

Comments (2)