psyohe

Need ideas to change exterior of house

Peke
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

house · More Info

house · More Info

house · More Info

This house is lakefront and it desperately needs a new exterior. I know vinyl siding would be the least expensive, but we thought about using rock veneer on the lower part of the house near the ground.

1. The current old vinyl siding goes all the way to the ground. It gets hit with the weedeater and mower and because it is old and brittle, it breaks easily. Our previous homes only had siding up high above brick so we are not sure what to do about that.

2. As you can see from the front photo, the room above the garage needs help with windows. They just aren't spaced correctly. We will be replacing windows as well as siding. If I put a third window to the left of the other two, it still won't be spaced right. There is also a huge closet right where the third window could be so that would mean remodeling that upstairs room too. Any advice on window size and placement?

1. None of the 2nd floor windows allow for egress. We need to have a window or door upstairs for a fire escape. We thought about putting a pergola on the front patio so someone could go out the window or door onto the pergola. Then we could have a ladder built into the pergola. Maybe it would be better to have a porch roof instead. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. Another problem is that the two story part needs something to break up that really high wall of siding in the front and back. It is just ugly. A pergola or porch would help the front, but we don't know what to do for the back. Our front door is on the lake side. Guests have to walk under the carport then step down to get on the front patio to get to the front door so a pergola or porch would be helpful for when it rains.

5. The back of the house looks awkward with that one small window. Should we get rid of it? Should we put more windows there? It gets the afternoon summer heat so we would rather not have any windows. Then we still have problem #4.

The photo of the front looks strange because I had to take the picture from down below near the lake. Plus the original owners put the 2 story garage at an angle instead of aligning it with the rest of the house so the picture makes the roof look off.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to hire an architect to design the exterior, but they all say they don't have time.

Thanks.

Patti

Comments (2)