SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markascherer

Planting bed and house entry ideas - opinions welcome

markascherer
8 years ago

So this will be the third time in 7 years that I have decided to "nuke" my planting bed and try again. I'm fairly happy with the other plants in this section. Bushes and trees I can handle. Flowers? It's a crap shoot. And before I spend another $200+ dollars at the local nursery, I figured I'd get the opinion of some (non-biased) experts. (FYI, zone 3).

The area to fill is basically a quarter-circle, from the paver rocks to the ceramic planter. It gets morning and early afternoon sun, but eventually gets shade from the house by 3pm. In theory, I could fill in the entire mulched area under the maple with "stuff", but seems a bit extreme. It also wouldn't match the rest of our front yard, as it's almost all bushes and mulch, and basically no planting beds. So in to the uplight is about as far as I think it should go.

Here is my not-at-all-experienced attempt at a layout: a ground cover (emerald pink phlox?) would cover the first foot in from the sidewalk. The hostas (which are already bought and placed in no real order in the picture) would be the middle row of plants, with a third row of plants behind those (may night sage?). As I perused the web for hosta pictures, I ran into a disturbing trend: hostas tend to be part of a mosaic of flowers, all mixed together, as opposed to a solid zig-zag line all in a row. I know it's also good to add ferns for texture contrast, but they don't tend to do well except in full shade, which this isn't. So while I'm constantly stuck in the "3 rows of stuff in a quarter circle" layout, any other ideas are welcome.

Side note 1: you'll notice a question mark on a green bush. I can't tell you what this thing is, but it grows in strange directions and is generally a pain to keep looking good. If you want to suggest replacements for this, be my guest. I already ripped another one out, which brings me to...

Side note 2: you'll also notice a green circle. This is where the other bush used to be. I was going to add a wichita blue juniper here, and trim the heck out of it to keep it under 4', but I was vetoed by multiple people on that one. If you feel like suggesting a completely different type of plant/bush here, feel free.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (11)