SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_goldberg3553692

Help/Advice on ideal patio surface material?

Michael Goldberg
7 years ago

I have a small backyard behind my rowhouse in Baltimore that I have been turning into a garden this spring. I installed a pergola and many beautiful native plants surrounding it. I am now ready to make the area beneath the pergola suitable for use as a leisure space. Occasionally I plan to have a table and chairs set up for meals and entertaining, while other times I'll put some lounge chairs out there for relaxing in the sun. I am currently trying to decide on the right material for this patio area.

The obvious choice is to pay someone to install a brick paver/stone patio, however I am not interested in the expense or time involved with this process, which I know to involve the removal of soil followed by installation of compacted gravel, sand, and the paver material. Besides the cost and time involved, adding more hardscape to my city that will further contribute to stormwater runoff and the heat island effect is also something I would like to avoid. I have also considered trying to grow grass or having sod installed, but would prefer not to mow it regularly, nor deal with fertilizing and all that. I am willing to deal with seasonal maintenance, but not weekly.

Instead, I am trying to decide on the best "natural" material that I could use, that achieves the following objectives:

-Fairly simple installation

-Won't be muddy or stay wet for very long after rain, to the point that it would be unusable

-Blocks the majority of weeds

-Is comfortable to spend time on

-Will prevent table/chair legs from sinking into the ground

-Looks nice enough

Some ideas I have come up with include:

-Wood chips

-Cedar mulch

-Pine bark

-Playground chips

Can anyone offer advice on how these materials might perform in an occasionally used patio setting? If possible, can you suggest which one of these might be most ideal? Thanks!

Comment (1)