SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracyz

Need Advice on 1 year old Bluestone Patio Flaking and Chipping

Tracy Z
8 years ago

We had a new patio installed last year with PA bluestone (Cut Bluestone Patio MW Tudor Blend with 12x12, 12 x24, and 24x24 pieces with Polymeric HP & XP sand, etc.) and since last year, the bluestone is significantly chipping and flaking away in large chunks. The landscaping company, who's been in business numerous years, reported this is a first they've seen. They are not offering to replace at this time. I researched this for hours on the internet with no signs that is is a normal occurrence for bluestone & I haven't found information on this even occurring on rare occasions. I did see information on quality versus inferior stone, but nothing that says this could or would occur. I called a couple stone places and no one heard of this for bluestone. I took it into a local brick and stone company, that also reported he hasn't seen this before. He reported my product does look like PA bluestone.

The landscaping company consulted with the quarry representative who recommended the landscaping company power wash the chips off and seal afterwards, as this should help it stop. They power washed the patio to get rid of the flakes that are coming off in large chunks. Afterwards, it pretty much looks like a sunburnt patio, as you can see the areas where they sprayed the layers off. In addition, a novice must have sprayed it, as they left graffiti like marks in some places. Although the landscaping company denies this or doesn't address it at all. They now say we should seal it as the representative from where they bought this so called bluestone; I am not sealing as it looks terrible. It is still coming off in chunks. I took a picture of pieces I just got off the patio the other day. No force required for them to easily pop off.

Please advise. Has anyone heard of this type of occurrence for bluestone? No chemicals or products have been on this patio. I live in Virginia and our temps are mild overall.

I am in need of advise and feedback. The owner of the quarry where this product was purchased by the landscaping company sent us a letter and reported leading causes of this issues are salt for snow removal and animal waste. Salt has never hit this patio and we do have dogs, but they have never or would they ever urinate or defecate on our patio.

I think this needs replacing as it looks terrible and more importantly the integrity of the stone is impacted by continued chunks coming off and the power washing didn't help any with the lines the nozzle must have left on some areas.

Comments (58)