SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brigite22

Suggestions needed for short perennial

brigite22
8 years ago

There is a large garden bed along the side of my driveway that is approximately 40ft long. I've got a mix of shrubs and perennials throughout but have been having difficulty finding something to plant along the front edge. I was hoping you all would have some suggestions!

The garden bed is in full sun - and by that I mean there is absolutely no shade from sun up until about an hour before sundown. The soil is pretty decent, maybe a bit sandy, and I keep everything well watered with an irrigation system. The bed goes right up to the edge of the driveway, so there is also heat radiating up from the pavement all day. I want to put a row of low perennials along the edge of the bed but I've been having difficulty finding something suitable.

I've tried a couple of varieties of dianthus but, once the flowering is complete, they look ugly the rest of the year and are not something I want in the front of the display. The same with some short campanula - initially it looks great in the spring but gets to be a tangled mess of fading blooms that is impossible to keep maintained. I've tried a couple varieties of coreopsis but most of the plants have not survived the winter.

Ideally, I would like something that gets to be around 4"-6" tall, keeps itself fairly presentable all summer and can handle the amount of sun and heat. Flowering would be great but is not necessary. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Comments (8)