SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Need perennial edging suggestions right away

I love having my garden slowly grow. Last year was weed-killing year, this year is perennials-from-seed (via winter sowing) year, and next year will be full hoppin' blooming year! I do, however, have a husband who prefers the "I want it now" approach. I get to do as I please in the garden (very rare in our house), but he just can't stand how all the mulch I used to help kill weeds last year gets thrown on our natural fieldstone path. It lays in between the cracks and looks messy. I laid the mulch over tarp last year (I had serious established weeds to kill-let's hope my perennials thrive half as well a they did) and as this year progresses it and the mulch will decrease. Next year I hope my plants do weed control.

He'll go crazy looking at the mulch on the path so I've realized that my life will be more peaceful if I just go down to the nursery and buy all my edging plants now. I have a few growing from seeds but they're just not going to grow fast enough for me to have peace.

It seems up here the only/main edging plant is phlox subulata. I love it, but I'd also love some more variety. Can you all suggest perennial evergreen (phlox subulata is evergreen enough up here to work) edging plants? Annuals won't work as well because every spring I'll be right back with bare edges. Even if the mulch is gone I'll have "junk" littering the path before I can place annuals, especially annuals grown from seed.

I need perennial evergreen edgers that hang in the 8" range. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Deanna

Comments (11)

Sponsored