SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happygrandparent_gw

Perennial, Seed, Ornamental Grass Suggestion needed

happygrandparent
17 years ago

I am old, but I am a beginner when it comes to planting from seed. Am handicapped (wheelchair) & can't afford to have someone do planting for me.

I must use seeds as I have a tool that will dig hole & I can drop seed(s) in. I can no long plant plants (digging a lot is impossible).

I'm hoping for ornamental grass kind of like Variegated Miscanthus (pictures I've found don't show blooms & it's beautiful). I want a grass that has the dimentions of this plant (4-5 ft tall & 2-3 ft. spread), but not invasive. Will plant around my yard next to cyclone fence for privacy & to keep our dogs & neighbors dogs on both sides from barking like crazy at one another when they see each other. I am also hoping I can take the seed & just put it in the hole as I have no room anywhere to start it in the house/pots/etc. I don't mind watering a lot & using something like Miracle Grow. I would also like a fast grower & the least amount of flowers the better (we back up to the vacant area of a cemetery & there's lots of bees, fleas, ticks, moles, etc.). And nothing poisonous. Am I dreaming this is all possible? I sure hope not. I don't like straggly/skinny grass as it just looks live I've forgotten to mow. I found some Chionochloa that's beautiful, but most bloom (which if I absolutely had to I would put up with, but we have hundreds of bees) & the ones I've checked out (height-wise) they are invasive & I can't spend the energy trying to stop them from taking over.

I was going to plant Pennyroyal to help with the fleas but found out it could be poisonous (& I have dogs outside). So I guess I'll give up on that this year & concentrate on building a grass fence about 5-6 ft. tall.

Our yard is about 125ft X 125 X 125 (3 sides).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel I need to get started right away.

Thanks

Comments (3)