SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgh_pa

An odd scenario...buying a home as a "filler" until able to to build.

8 years ago

Ok, so this is strange, I'll admit. I'll give the basic background of my situation.

My wife and I and our new child are living in our first home that I've remodeled extensively over the course of the past 7 years (we bought it after graduation and getting married to be our starter home). We actually really like it here, but seeing as it's a split level with little room left for remodeling, we're at about max capacity. We have been looking for land ever since we bought the place, and in that time, haven't been able to locate anything due to our market blowing up with a natural gas boom that pretty much made finding land impossible.

We were fortunate enough to land a right of first refusal/purchase agreement with someone in the area for a good chunk of ground at a great price. The only issue is that while it's legal (all signed by attorneys on both sides), this sale may not happen for some time as the owner has the say as to when they want to sell.

My wife would like to have a second child within the next 2-3 years, and we know at that time we will not be able to live in our current house. Knowing what we know about the building process, we also know it's not an overnight thing, so it's looking more and more like we won't have a contract on the land by the time we would want to build.

We've been toying with the idea of just buying another slightly larger home to "fill the gap" or buy us some time, but we're worried about the risk you make with short term equity that we may need in another 5 years if we finalize the land contract. We have a significant amount of equity built into our current home, and a pretty good start on liquid savings, so we're doing it correctly, but we're just in a really odd spot.

Has anyone ever experienced a similar situation? What did you do? Are we just being crazy?

Comments (16)