SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
superman358

keep downdraft or retrofit island hood?

digitalman
8 years ago

we are getting ready to move into a new house. the house currently and island range with a down draft that doesn't work well. we are planning to replace the appliances and are debating what to do about the venting.

In our current house we have a 36" wolf range top with griddle that I really liked. But we decided when we move to the new house to go with mid-grade appliances. Because of the island cut out, without doing expensive retrofitting of existing cabinets, we are stuck with a 30" range. The current range is gas. I am strongly leaning towards a dual fuel replacement.

Below the island is the dirt foundation. Above the kitchen are bedrooms and a bathroom. Since we have not purchased the house, I am not sure which way the beams go. Also, the far right side is the exterior wall, of the brick house. It is less then 10ft from range to wall.

Knowing that the current vent situation is a problem, I am unsure if we should replace the downdraft vent with a better one, or replace it with a island hood. Should I choose to install an island hood, how much should I expect to budget for installation?

Comments (10)