SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enigma007x

Walkout Basement Insulation

enigma007x
8 years ago

Hey Guys,
I have been reading forums for days and have gone from knowing nothing, to knowing a ton of contradictory information. I am hoping that you can help me figure out what I need to do with my walkout basement insulation problems.

I recently moved into a home in Massachusetts, and my basement is a mix of full below-grade foundation walls, half foundation/half framed, and fully framed walkout walls. I noticed that there are some spots of mold on the interior side of the fiberglass insulation on the framed walls that sit on the half/no foundation walls and want to remedy the situation before it gets worse.

The basement is completely unfinished (with plans to someday), and the current setup from what I can see inside is:

Plywood => Fiberglass Insulation (Unfaced) => Plastic

The plastic is very poorly stapled to the studs and is just hanging off of the wall in some places.

I am trying to figure out the best way to fix this and prevent mold from growing in the future. I am hoping to solve this in a reasonable way as it is minor right now. I would prefer not to go full spray insulation. I have read a number of different ways I could cut XPS or EPS and fill the stud bays + fiberglass insulation, but then I find all sorts of contradictory information on how thick it should be (some say you need it <2" to allow vapor to pass through, others say 2"+ to prevent vapor transmission). Additionally, I see contradictory information on if the plastic should be applied on the interior (some say it keeps basement moisture out of the fiberglass, other say it traps external moisture in the fiberglass and to get rid of it, and some indicate that it is required by code).

At the end of the day, I am just concerned that whatever I do will just end up making things worse. I am hoping that you guys may be able to clear some of this up for me!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21