SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobjax

#1 Rule, for me

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So many times I find that I have to learn about a product by testing it before I use it. (New color, new paint, primer, stripper, it doesn't matter.)

I just took back a primer to BM that would not cure during a 10 day test. Yep I gave it that long, waiting for it to grip and cure. Never happened. Really delayed my project. Worked with BM corporate over 3 days to determine what was wrong. They finally said to return it to the store and they would send it to corporate for analysis. I would have ruined my bathroom cabinet job if I did not test it and if I proceeded with the paint job.

I just tested Zinsser 1-2-3. Noticed clumps on a test board. (It is a GREAT primer.) Had noticed some damaged can lids at HD. Air must have gotten into the can and a film resulted and it mixed through out the can when it was shaken. Zinsser is sending a replacement..nice, but another delay. I do love the new gray 1-2-3.

Test primers; test colors; test paint; test brushes; test rollers, test strippers, test scrapers, test everything. Don't ruin a job. Test it to see if it works the way you thought it would; test it to learn how to use it. I once used a primer on a long banister. Never tested it. Did not stick. I used the wrong type of primer. Had to remove the paint and primer from the entire banister, then reprime and paint. Took forever.

I always learn a lot about the product during the test part.

Sorry about the rant. I just read two posts about how they had to remove paint that did not work.

Another thing. I just tested deglossers, versus sanding, versus applying to stripped wood, versus just cleaning. Which gripped the primer or paint adequately? It depends. You can test to see how your paint grips in each case depending on the thing you are painting. Be aware of cure times and what that means to your test.

Don't ever just assume that cleaning is all you need. Some products say that. Test it.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES