Show me your light stain hardwood floor, brown, gray or weathered oak

zellycat2

Looking for pictures and personal experience of light colored stains on white oak!

I want to see what it looks like in real homes, not when every stick of furniture goes perfectly. Do you love them? Hate them? Easy to have multiple colors of furnishings go with your floors or does everything blend too much? Do you wish you'd gone darker because they wash out colors, etc?

I'm trying to decide floor color, help me see what my floors would look like!

What stain did you use?

Thanks!

SaveComment6Like1
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.

You have enough flooring laid for your flooring professional to start putting down stain mixes. Ask them to start adding stain mixes to areas that are finished. You have some time before this is finished to figure out which colour you want. This will also tell you if your professional can handle the colour mix you are looking for (which is a particular concern of yours).

Once your professional starts putting down stain patches you will QUICKLY understand how competent they are with colour mixing and FINISHES to be used. Please ask for these patches. Please.

Save    
zellycat2

They have done this - it's made from my floor boards, they sanded, stained and put poly on. I asked them to do it on this instead of on the floor so I could move it from room to room. Plus I could take it and put it up against furnishings just to see what it does to colors.

I know I have to keep it simple. Just nothing feels right. It's happening Tuesday so I have to decide. I thought seeing real people's homes (instead of glamour shots on Houzz) might help.

(Clearly those are not my furnishings or floors in that bottom shot.)

Save    
zellycat2

For anyone reading years from now ... I wasn't sure my floor guy was handling stain well so I went with natural floors - sealer then water based poly. They look great.

3 Likes Save    
PRO
Oak & Broad

Here is a project using Rubio Monocoat over White Oak. I like the look.

White Oak Rubio Monocoat White Boca Raton Florida · More Info

2 Likes Save    
mmcmahon98

Do you have pictures of your floor please and do you like how has it held up ? thanks

Save    
Marcy

@zellycat2 Can post pictures of your floor and the names and number of coats applied please?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gray Choosing Color: Give Me More Gray Days
Layer On the Grays for a Sophisticated Look in Any Room
Full Story
Most Popular What’s Your Neutral: Beige or Gray?
A designer shares 10 tips for using the neutral shade that works best for you
Full Story
Houzz Call: Show Us Your Paint Makeovers
Let your newly repainted house or room do the "How d'ya like me now?" strut right here — it might just be featured in an upcoming ideabook
Full Story