SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
max_batchelder

Adenium desert rose losing its leaves?

Max Batchelder
8 years ago

I recently purchased a desert rose, and it keeps dropping leaves. I've done a bunch of Googling, and so far have failed to do anything to stop this worrying behavior. Its roots/trunk don't seem to be soft or squishy, so I am fairly confident it's not rot or fungus.
My current hypothesis is that bringing it to my apartment from wherever it was grown (probably some kind of greenhouse, I live in New York City) may have shocked it into its winter hibernation mode? My apartment isn't particularly cold, but it's definitely not desert-hot, either.
Basically, I would love to know if there's anything I can do to help my poor adenium out. I stopped watering it when I realized that it may be hibernating, because I read that they're supposed to be pretty dry in the winter. Up until that point I had been watering every few days, plus two pumps of fertilizer weekly. It has a high-output fluorescent bulb focused on it most of the day (my apartment doesn't get enough natural light to satisfy its needs), but that doesn't generate warmth. Would putting the pot on a heating pad (set to a low setting, of course) help coax it out of hibernation, if that is the case?

Comments (6)