SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gee8ch

Desert Rose (Adenium Obesum)

gee8ch
16 years ago

Unable to find other forum for this question and some of you have mentioned you have this plant. I am looking to grow one, but so far, except for Logees, have been able to find only seeds available. Is this an easy plant to grow from seed or do you suggest buying an already rooted plant? Also, is there an advantage in buying a grafted plant over a non-grafted plant? Sorry, another question: is there one cultivar over another that is recommended? TIA Gloria

Comments (116)

• zacbit
    14 years ago

Pictures never appeared...Got message all OK...will try now for links....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1206996}}

• zacbit
    14 years ago

Well, will try one more thing....Pics or link didn't work..This is address to album...Ones attempting to show are the first four...here goes!

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/ZacBic/?albumview=slideshow

• Related Discussions

Wanted: Desert Rose ( adenium obesum )

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm looking for any Desert rose ( adenium obesum ).If anyone has any please LMK what your looking for. Thanks
    ...See More

looking for Desert Rose (Adenium obesum) seeds

Q

Comments (4)
    have you checked out e-bay. there are adenium seeds there for sale from 10 to 1000 lots. I have ordered from a U.S. based seller (where the wild things grow) and was satisfied. but the real deals come from thailand and i have been afraid to order . A blog warned me that the colors they sell do not exist and have been photochopped to hook buyers. I would love to hear from any member that has ordered from them.
    ...See More

Which require the least water? Agaves, Cacti, Adenium or Pony Tai

Q

Comments (10)
    It is a tough question, as most require little or no water during the winter, unless it's unseasonably warm, then some or all could use at least some water. Most aloes like a lot of water in winter, though. Some I would water 2-4x a week. Cacti, for example, rarely need water in the winter, as most are not actively growing in the winter... but this winter, a lot of the cacti in my yard are wilting from the lack of water and constant heat, so I actually have to water them. But normally they can go for many months without water and be fine. A better question would be how much can water can they tolerate in winter... surprisingly many can tolerate a LOT as few cacti in your zone will rot if they get a ton of water in the winter (if planted in the ground... in pots is a bit trickier and overwatering is more easy to do, resulting in a rotted cactus). Sansevierias hardly ever require water any time of year... but love it in summers if its warm and the soil is very well draining. Some tolerate a good deal of winter rain in the ground, but I have never seen one die over winter from lack of water. Beaucarneas tolerate water year round (particularly recurvata), but will do fine normally with none at all... up to you. Agaves typically do not grow that much in winter, but I have not rotted many or had any rot from getting winter storm after winter storm dumped on them. Desert roses have to be warm though, are they will rot (do not leave them outdoors if its gonna be cold!)... they love water in summers, but only tolerate it in winters if above a certain temp (not sure exactly what that temp is, but it seems it's warm enough in my greenhouse cause they get water and haven't rotted yet).
    ...See More

WANTED: Desert rose ( adenium obesum )

Q

Comments (2)
    cokenut - You should be able to find Desert Rose at every big box store in the state. I get seeds once a year and give them away, but they take a long time to germinate.
    ...See More
  • kevphol
    14 years ago

Zacbit, pics can be tricky. Try this. Copy and past the following into your post:

I have added spaces after the so text would show up here, so remove those spaces. Then copy your full link from photobucket and paste it in between the two "" marks. Then hit the Preview Message button and your pic should show up.

You have nice looking DRs! I just got my first this summer as well. From what I understand they should be brought inside when temps drop into the 50s. Watering should be stopped and they will go dormant and likely lose their leaves much like plumeria.

Kevin

Here are your pics:

• zacbit
    14 years ago

Thank you so much Kevin for posting my pics...Another Texan! Will see if I mastered this by posting another picture...Take care...

">

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

These were some of my 2009 desert rose pictures. My desert rose plants are in fully bloom right now. I will download pictures and upload on picasa web and send out link for 2010. Marie in Houston

You can tell bigger pots were from back yard, smaller pots from the front yard. If the link doesn't work, please copy and paste. I had pictures from 2005,2006,2007,2008 also if any body want to see each pot as year past by and what they look like each year. Give me email.

http://picasaweb.google.com/longcucpaul/HoaSuThaiLan2009#

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Please also check in (plumeria-desert rose looking nicely)
    I post my 2010 pictures in that forum. Marie

• carolnj38
    13 years ago

Hi Gloria,
    I also just got into loving the Desert Rose, I found mine at Home Depot. Just thought I'd let you know, I don't like waiting for seeds, takes too long.lol.
    good luck in finding one, Carol
    ps: I agree with the other person aBout Logee's, I have ordered quite a bit from them, because it's hard to find certain plants that one wishes to have.

• eileen44_gardener
    13 years ago

OMG...I am a plumie-newbie!...adopted 1st and so far, only plumie!...it's getting ready to bloom!...I have been reading on this forum of DR's...not knowing any better, assumed they were plumies too!...until today...saw some beauties at our local Walmart..and soooo affordable!...I just couldn't resist pulling out the plastic and taking one home. I am so exited. It has 4 fully leafed-out growths, very symetrical to the lovely caudex (?) and 7 more smaller branches at the top just beginning to spourt tiny leaves. It is in a 6 or 7 in plastic pot; the medium feels very course but also very dry even an inch down and the whole thing is sitting in a terra cotta pot!. Would it be safe to transplant from the plastic pot to the terra cotta pot at this time? I am pretty sure it could use a drink of water right now..but not sure if it can be transplanted then I could water? Or should I do that now? I don't have any fertilizer just now..(except for my orchids!)..so that may have to wait for several days!...any advice would be greatly appreciated!...please know I understand these kinds of addiction! Mine started with my orchids 2 years ago!... the plumie I adopted is soon to have a plumie friend (my gf's mom has another she no longer wants [they have never bloomed for her]). Thanks

• organic_flitter
    13 years ago

Hello folks. I'm amazed by all the Adenium maniacs I've found here....awesome. I too have this disease. I LOVE THEM!I especially love the one above, zacbit from SE Texas. Fabulous form.

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

organic_flitter's if you look under forum (cacti and succulents) you find many post for desert rose. Plus helpul informations from many other people. marie

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I know I have the fever too!!!

I LOVE these plants and what was suppose to be a gift to my mother is now becoming both of ours!

I love this thread and I am learning so much..Thank you everyone..

I live in New England and so far it seems to me that these plants are easy to care for come the winter... I would assume I can teat it like a plumie?

When bare, only water once a month or so, even though the soil is dry within days?..And they can go anywhere in the house you want, as long as they are not over watered and too cold?...I have mine in my basement with very little light but kept on the very dry side..

I use to own one myself that my mother was in love with which made her start a fever way before I, but I killed it watering it every week when the mix dried out in the winter, even when it sat in full sunny windows..I know better this time a round..

Thank you to the one whom was generous to send me one as a gift, and for the , yes., "fever"..And to those who share their time to help those of us that suffer with winter to come out on the other side with plants that survive..
    It was here that has helped me grow plumeria successfully..

{{gwi:705430}}

We love it!

Now, if I could get get one I can call my own..

Mike..

• organic_flitter
    13 years ago

Mike, Your adenium is amazing!!! I just bought one at Walmart of all places.(Was shocked they had it outdoors in mid November) It had a dead branch and was marked down to $7 ... it was a very nice size. I cut off the dead branch and will root it to start a new baby.... no big caudex, but a new plant nonetheless! I used to always trim mine in the winter after they lost their leaves, but have since learned they should be cut right before spring when they're getting ready to shoot up. So this year I'll do that.
    After much reading about these awesome creative looking plants,I'm beginning to feel more comfortable around them. Believe me I've killed several! I even started 161 seedlings which all took and proceded to "over love" them ....I now only have 3 of them spread out among friends. Yup....over loved them!!!! YIKES! However I have overcome that and now have over 15 full grown plants in my greenhouse. Several with seed pods...not sure if they'll develop with the shorter days and cooler weather. I'm waiting patiently. Though I have had success with 15 seeds from my daughters plant. 11 are surviving and developing well.
    The trimming of the plants really helps them to not become too leggy and allows them to develop more character in their branch development.
    for this fever...there is only one cure...buy more desert roses!

• okeygirl333
    13 years ago

Hello, I have one DR which is one and a half feet tall and one little guy I started from seed last year and has now grown to about 2.5". Where are the best places online to order them? I know this link is a little old, but you guys seem as obsessive about DRs and this forum as I am. LOL

• jandey1
    13 years ago

Try bradsbudsandblooms.com. I got an adenium from them in the fall, grafted, and was quite pleased. They also sent several free seeds of the same variety, too. Nice people there.

• SunnyA1a
    12 years ago

I have a beautiful Desert Rose plant that is kept outdoors all year long (I live in Florida). It is about 3 ft high, has bright rose colored flowers, and on two additional branches has totally white flowers. It looks beautiful, but is it normal for one plant (one trunk) to have two different colored flowers?

• organic_flitter
    12 years ago

Since posting nearly a year ago, I was lucky enough to find several desert roses at a nursery full of seed pods. I bought all 5 plants.... yup, a little addicted. They were all varieties of pinks... dark, light and a mauve. I've got about 300 baby desert roses popping up in my greenhouse .... along with those plants, several of my older DR's have also made seed pods. I ordered some seeds online and now feel like I'm a desert rose grower. YAHOOIE!
    I too bought several DR plants from Brads Buds and Blooms. Great group of guys there!!! Plants were beautiful and true to color!
    you might say I'm going a little CRAZY!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I am going to post a few that are blooming, the first one I purchased from Florida Colors, it is called double color.

This one is called Miss India, and I bought at the local farmers market in Rockport Tx.

Barbra
    T

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful DRs, Barbra! Were your plants at the coast okay?

Again, I had no idea Florida Colors also had desert roses. Thanks for the lovely photos.

Jen

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Jen, this is my husbands favorite plant, he has an entire bed planted with them. I bought 4 from Carol at Florida Colors when we went to see her. She usually sells them at her local farmers market, with ungrafted plumeria rooted cuttings. She has mailed me two this spring with my plumeria cuttings. Most of mine I buy from Michael who sells them at the Rockport Farmers Market. Michael is originally from Germany, he grows hundreds of desert roses in cold frame boxes. He grows them from seeds, that he purchases from overseas growers. If you want plants, just let me know and I will pick up for you, they are $5 or $10 each. Miss India he had to graft, from his mother plant, it was $13. It blooms non stop, and the blooms like the double color are almost 3 inches wide. Barbra

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Barbra, that is such a kind offer--thank you! Unfortunately, I am Megadeath to desert roses so I stay away from them. There is a nursery here in town that grow them from Thai seed, so lots of temptations for me, but I'll stick to the plumeria that I have a better feel for.

Jen

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Barbra,

Gorgeous Dr's....WOW!!! Love the colors!!

I have a few that i really enjoy!!!

Thanks for showing those beauties!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    12 years ago

Great pics, Honeybunny2.I have found a few DR & plumeria at our local Home Depot, but haven't found any growers in this area yet.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I just spoke with Carol today, she said a gentleman from Houston, just bought 89 of her desert roses. He just called and said they arrived in great condition, she was worried about shipping so many at one time. Barbra

• majaja2011
    12 years ago

Does any one know where is Florida color? Am new to this forum, and am very interest in desert rose.... I have about 8 pots but nothing special in color.... Am looking for a place to buy baby DR in different colors or double flower.... By the way, I live in Tampa Florida. Thank you

• kevphol
    12 years ago

Florida Colors nursery is in Homestead. Wonderful place and owners. Here is their website.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Colors

• majaja2011
    12 years ago

Thanks Kevin! I contacted Carol, still waiting for her respond. She will email me her photo and will go from there. Thanks much!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Darn it, Kevin, it's pictures like that that make me think, "Hm, maybe I should try desert rose again"! Beautiful! Nice to see you back around here; I'd wondered where you'd gone.

Jen

• pcput
    12 years ago

Wow!! Kevin, That is a beauty. I don't think I have ever seen one so full of blooms. Your doing something right!!! Peg

• majaja2011
    12 years ago

Kevin,
    Your DR are full of blooms. My DR ste bot that healthy, they bloomed, but not kije yours. What is your trick? Yeah! I can't wait until she respond with prices. I picked out 7 different type of her plants. I wish I'd know about this forum months ago. For the last two months I spends lots of time calling nurseries about different color type and about the new double flower..... Am glad am a member of this forum.

• _eee
    12 years ago

Wow, so at long last I have found people that love and know the desert rose. I thought I was alone here. I am in S. Calif. and have yet to meet or talk to anyone (other than at the nursery) about this fablous/interesting plant.
    I have also been trying to find a DR society. Thank you for all the good info and wonderful pictures. I look forward to reading more.

• wuvbear
    12 years ago

I went to Walmart and to my surprise, I found several DR. I picked the one I liked the best. They were $15.00.
    I had it in the sun, but the leaves started looking like they were getting burned, so put it on my patio table. Now, I am not sure if that is ok, or if it needs to find a different spot in the sun............

Neysa

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Neysa,

Dr's do like the full sun, however you need to acclimate them to the full sun. They come from inside the nursey ( if its a box store) and then we want to put them in the full sun. It sounds like it needs to adjust. Put it in partial shade unitl it gets use to the area and then slowly introduce it to the full sun. It should do great for you then!!!

EEE,

Welcome to the forum!!! We here love DR's as well as Plumeria!!!

I Have several DR's and i love the look as well...

Remember, they are addicting as Plumeria!! LOL...

Jen,

Can you believe those pics of Kevin's DR?

Unbelievable beauty!!!

Great job Kevin!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• kevphol
    12 years ago

Thanks Guys. I love my DR. It has been a great bloomer every season and often carries blooms into the winter after I move it into the house.

Neysa, Laura is right on about the sun burn and acclimating. Mine has to acclimate each year I move it outside and often looses leaves. Once it adjusts however it grows great in full sun. I basically treat it just like my plumies. DRs actually love water but have to have very fast draining soil. About 1/3 the depth of my pot is full of rock on bottom. The soil also has more perlite in it than I even use with plumies. I soak it thoroughly almost every day in summer and it blooms on and off all summer. Probably about time for mine to go in a bigger pot too.

• wuvbear
    12 years ago

Thanks Laura for letting me know that I need to let my DR get used to its new home...... tonight I moved it and my plumeria up on the patio table....we are expecting rain tonight and I don't want either to get wet.

I have let my DR be dry. Bought a soil meter, but have not gone to test it as yet. Maybe I should water my dr more.

I am thinking that I am going to like DR's more than plummies!!!!! I am going to give both a fair chance, then decide which I like better. The DR's don't take up so much room as the plummies do.......

Neysa

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Kevphol, if you're around can you please tell us the name of the DR cultivar in your pictures?

Is it Noble Concubine? I keep thinking about it and may get one eventually. It looks like a good bloomer.

Thanks,
    Jen

• kevphol
    12 years ago

Hi Jen, I can't be certain of the variety but believe it is likely the Noble Concubine variety, sometimes also called Noble Queen. It is definitely a good bloomer in both quantity and duration through the year.

Kevin

• tinamib
    12 years ago

Hi all, I am sort of new to these forums and new to growing Desert Roses. I just bought three today from a local nursery in Austin Texas that grows them from seed they get overseas. The man that grows them stated they may be different colors due to different factors. I purchased a orange one, red one and one that is supposed to be deep purple with a vivid red center. I can't wait to get them growing. The man stated he planted the seed last year and I should see flowers this year. He had many different varieties/colors in several sizes that ranged from $7 - $30. I am very excited. I bought three of the smaller sized ones.

I am also a plumeria lover with several in the yard. This same nursery specializes in plumeria. I have been looking for an orange one and he said he should have cuttings from his orange in a couple months. I am excited about that too.

I will post pictures once they all start blooming.
    Tina

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Hello everyone. Just thought I would let any of you that may be interested to know that a new forum for Adeniums is due to start real soon here on Gweb. My Gweb contact who I have been corresponding with to get this up and running tells me that there will be a link on the Plumeria forum as well as one on the Cactus & Succulent forum where we also write about these plants. Please look out for the link and drop in on the new forum when it's up and running. I'll do a post on here to make sure you all know the good news. Hope to see you there!
    Gill from the UK.

• quinnsellars
    11 years ago

I have one as well. My mom loves it. I have it on my patio behind one of my giant bougainvilleas and it just blooms. I don't want to bed it or get more until I find out how it will winter here. I'm not really sure what the point is of the bloated trunk? To each their own i guess. The pic that Kevin posted of that variegated one is beautiful. I would love to get more but I know from experience that waiting is better. I already have 50+ house plants that can't go outside so if one adenium has to winter indoors ok but not 5 which with plants that lovely I would be tempted to do.

• BrrianTX
    11 years ago

I am new to adding DR in my plant collection. I live in Houston, TX and I cant find a place to buy them here- not in Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Garden center, etc. Can you please share the link to the website or any contact information for some reliable places to purchase DR? I have checked in ebay and it seems hard to determine which one is reliable and which one is not. Please share your review as well. Thank you very much for your help

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

BrrianTX,
    I live in Sugar Land. Houston Home and Garden has them every year but you have to get them by May or they are gone. I bought 10 of them this May. They were in 4" pots and in bad shape. They were not blooming, so I had no idea what I bought.

I repotted them and I was really surprised when they started blooming. Here are those that bloomed.
    Size of plants.

They all have a swollen caudex and most likely they were grown from seed. So far there are no two alike.

I lucked out. I am very happy with what I got.
    tc.
    George

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I also have 2 DR's and one of them I am tempted to cut back. The reason I haven't yet is because I'm too lazy to research how and if I should. :)

• BrrianTX
    11 years ago

Thanks George. Did you mean Houston Garden Center? How much did you pay for yours? Maybe I should check them out next yr since they are all gone. Went there this week, nothing left.

The new craze for DRs are triple or quads (or 5 levels/layers) of flowers varieties from Thailand. Does anyone have experience buying seeds from somewhere? What is your experience?

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi BrrianTX,
    yes Houston Gardens Centers. I paid $10 for each. They would not have double and triples. Those are the latest thing and are going to be very expensive. I do not know where to get them.
    tc,
    George

• BrrianTX
    11 years ago

George,

Thank you for sharing the photos of your plants. They look very healthy and simply beautiful. I called several places in Houston and for some reason they dont have triples and quads varieties. So do you keep them inside in winter months? please do share some information how to care for them in Houston. Thanks

Does anyone know any good realiable website links where to but them? Thank you for your help.

11 years ago

Check out the Adenium Forum and ask there...

Marie is known for her DR's and lots of wonderful people there as well...

They can direct you to places to buy like Florida Colors and give you some thai names you can trust.

Here are a few pics of mine that i really like..

Take care,

Laura

{{gwi:105547}}

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Brrian, you should check out the adenium/desert rose forum. Ltran on there is in Houston and has the most amazing collection of big DRs. I've seen triples offered here and there but never quads. There's a link for a place to order online below.

George, I went to Joseph's nursery in Pearland and they had a great selection (in June) of DRs, even doubles. I was told they only bring them into the sales areas when they're blooming though I saw lots of giant ones in cachepots that weren't. Definitely worth a call.

Laura, like everything else you grow your DRs are looking fantastic!

Here is a link that might be useful: DRs online

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Brrian,
    adeniums appear to be less hardy than plumerias.
    I keep them under a Lexan covered patio with the plumerias. I run 4-mil plastic around and enclose it. I use two 1500w electric heaters and turn them on when it is below freezing only. I also put some in my garage (unheated), which has a skylight. They do Ok in there too.

Jen, thanks for the info. I will check them out next year.
    tc,
    George

• gigman7
    10 years ago

If you want to propagate it, a nice thing to do is if you prune it, root the cuttings, then grow these for the seed. As it was mentioned earlier, the cuttings won't grow the base most of us want so we will not worry about allowing these rooted plants to go to seed. If we allow a plant to go to seed, it will usually stop blooming until the seed mature. I didn't like it when my desired plant stopped blooming. I don't mind it if my rooted plants stop.