SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbr2

Picking railing for stairs: which balusters?

sarahbr2
8 years ago

We are up to finalizing our railing. Add this to the list of "things I never thought I would waste time thinking about." We have way too many options. The treads of the stairs are white oak which will eventually be stained. The rise will be painted white.

I am planning on square newel posts. We can do white, stained, white with stained tops, or white with stained tops and stained trim. I think I am leaning towards the white with stained tops or white with stained tops and trim. We will do a stained railing. Thoughts?

stained top and trim:

Minnesota Residence · More Info
or

stained top:

Summit Signature Homes, Inc. · More Info

I want to do white balusters (nearly every new house near us is doing iron but I think this will look best for our house). For the most part, the house is traditional. For the balusters I see there are square tops and tapered tops. Not sure if there is a reason to use one over the other? Does anyone have thoughts about square bottoms and square tops compared to square bottoms and tapered tops? Also we can do a very simple square baluster that has no contours (like above photo), or something a bit more elaborate (in which case there seem to be a ton of choices and they all kind of look the same to me). Here is an example of the square bottom with square top. A square bottom with a taper top is shown in the first linked picture. Are there baluster profiles people prefer? I just see the book and get too overwhelmed to pick between them. How are you all picking all these small details?

Atherton, California Luxury Home by Markay Johnson Construction · More Info

And finally, I noticed this after looking at too many railing photos. I realized some cut the balusters so that the height of the bottom square rises gradually with the railing (as in the above photo). Some cut them so that on any given stair, the height of the squares on each of the two balusters is the same. This picture might clarify that since it's hard to describe. See that A A show 2 balusters per stair, each is the same height. Whereas in B, the height of those squares changes, so that the decorative features remain parallel to the railing. I think I prefer the gradual look (B) but are there design rules on all this?

Thanks for any help/advice/input.

Comments (19)