SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaykchan10

Stiffen Trench Around Bamboo

Jay C
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have bamboo in a large area in my backyard. I inherit them from the ex-houseowner, and that was spreaded from my neighbor. I like bamboo because they are very good screen to give some privacy in my small backyard. To contain it within its designated area, I digged an 1-foot deep open trench around the bamboo, and removed all the bamboo outside the trenched area. So far so good. My question is how to stiffen the trench to prevent its edge from collapsing.

I have avoided walking near the edge of the trench, and I only use a string trimmer to cut the grass near the trench in order to avoid foot traffic near the trench. Unfortunately, I can see that the edge of some part of the trench has collapsed to a certain degree. I need to find a way to stiffen the outer side of the trench in order to keep the grass near the edge of the trench in good shape (I don't concern about the inner side of the trench where there is no grass and that I can easily fix using a shovel).

I have tried using thin concrete blocks laying sideway and use metal rebar to stiffen the trench. But the straight concrete blocks don't fit the curved trench.

I have thought of using pressured treated wood planks and bend them to follow the curve of the trench, and then use metal rebar to anchor the wood planks in place. But I doubt that pressured treated wood can be bent that much.

I have thought of using long white PVC planks and metal rebar to stiffen the outer side of the trench, and then paint its in brown. The PVC planks are quite flexible and can follow the curve of the trench. But I am afraid that the brown paint will partially come off after a while and will look very ugly.

I have thought of wide metal planks - like a "super sided" metal edging. But I cannot find such a thing. Otherwise, that would have been perfect.

I have thought of using concrete blocks as retaining wall to stiffen the trench. But that seems to be more work and money than necessary; in other words, this seems like overkill.

I have thought of (and saw suggestion of) using short wood boards (like 2-feet), and hammer it vertically along the outer side of the trench to stiffen the trench. This sounds promising. But I am wondering if this is enough to hold the soil in place, and if the wood board will last -- after all it is half buried in the ground.

Would you please give me some suggestions or share your experience in doing this? Thanks in advance.

Jay C

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction