SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoerosehill2

Question about potted roses and pruning

I have around 12 potted rose bushes that I potted up last summer with bare root plants. (Brecks rose deal) All did well last summer and made it through the winter in my garage without problems. Can someone refresh my memory with how often to change out the soil and completely repot? What shall I feed these roses with this growing season? I am getting ready to use GardenTone and epsom salts in the soil around the roses I have growing in the ground- I am not sure if this is what I should be using on the potted ones. They are planted in a Miracle Gro soiless mix. Any information would be helpful.

Also, can anyone recommend any easy to follow instructions on pruning roses? I did not prune at all before winter started, -I remember reading here that the rose stores food in the canes, and it was not recommended to prune prior to winter. Everything is looking quite straggly, and I am sure there is lots of work to do in that department. I am fairly new to roses, ( a couple of years) and pruning scares me! I really don't know what I am doing! Thank you! (I posted last year, but couldn't log into my old account, so I set up a new one. But I was here last year when the Brecks rose deal hit this forum.)

Comments (8)