SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdmehta

Need Help for Replacement HVAC System

cdmehta
8 years ago

I live in Metro Houston area in a two-story home (2640 sq. ft.) with two split HVAC systems (upstairs 3.0T and downstairs 2.5T). The current systems are Train XE1000 systems from circa 1988 (original installed by the builder). The upstairs unit has failed - 3 different technicians have said that the compressor is broken/failed and I need a complete system replacement. They each gave me quotes for replacement of all three components - compressor/condenser, evaporator coil & the furnace (80% efficiency) with associated accessories:

1. Trane XR16 system, 16 SEER ($7,999)
2. Trane XV18 system, 18 SEER ($9,990)

3. American Standard Silver 16 system, 16 SEER ($8,020)

4. American Standard Gold 17 2-Stage system, 17 SEER ($8,376)

5. American Standard Platinum 18 Variable Speed system, 18 SEER ($10,354)

I would appreciate feedback from experts on the following issues:

1. Are these quotes reasonable? To me they appear a bit high (based on reading other posts in this forum). All quotes are from authorized dealers with good references and include all applicable rebates (but no tax credits).

2. Which of these systems is a better investment, considering the fact that we will be selling this home in about 2 years. As you may know, our summers are quite harsh (read very hot and humid) and winters are quite mild. How long would it take me to recoup higher cost of better system?

3. How much incremental savings can I expect per additional SEER?

4. None of the techs did any load calculation. Is it necessary or I should accept their recommendation to replace the system with identical (3T) size? Would the newer systems with higher efficiency and better technology reduce the size needed?

I have the model numbers for the major components of each of the quotes, but I have not included here for the sake of brevity.

Sorry to throw so many questions at one time, but I need to make a quick decision, since we are currently without a functioning AC in all our bedrooms!
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and advice.

Comments (38)