SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_32119241

Found a Couple of Very Helpful Resources

User
8 years ago

I'm deep into the process of learning about mfg homes and buying them. I was getting very frustrated with the mfg websites and information I was getting from dealers. There just don't seem to be a lot of resources for a person new in the industry.

Manufacturers, dealers, financing, insurance, MHP, lots, land, zoning ordinances, installation/set-up, skirting, registration/license, electric meter, inspections/inspectors, etc.

I had finally found a mfg that was able to make a couple of modifications I needed and was ready to start submitting my loan applications to the few loan companies (trying not to duplicate to companies owned by Warren Buffet). When I found a couple of very helpful resources:

http://grissimguides.com/ John Grissim has written 2 books that have been a real big help in understanding the different building components and what are the best and worse in each. Plus who all of the different mfg are and what the can and can't do.

1. The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes

The essential buyer's resource, listing every builder in the U.S., their histories, products, price ranges, construction ratings, need-to-know information and much more. There is also a 2015 free update available, look for it in the write up.

1. The Grissim Buyer's Guide to Manufactured Homes & Land

How to find a reputable dealer and negotiate a fair price on the best kept secret in American housing

While doing some of my Google research I found an article published in the Seattle Times that really opened my eyes to the mfg home industry. It was written on 4/2/2015 and updated on 2/1/2016. It should be mandatory reading for anything thinking about renting, lease-to-own, or purchasing a mfg home. It's caused me to back away from submitting an order for a home until I can work through a lot of issues the article brought to my awareness.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/the-mobile-home-trap-how-a-warren-buffett-empire-preys-on-the-poor/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small print: I have no affiliation with Grissim, the Seattle Times or the authors of the article. I have no ties to the mfg industry. I'm just someone who's looking to buy their first mfg home and wanted to share these helpful resources with others doing the same.

Happy hunting.

Comments (17)

Sponsored