SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

I miss my c&s...

chaparralgirl
8 years ago

Hi, all,

Once upon a time, I used to visit the C&S forum a LOOOOOOOOT, when I grew and kept a rather sizeable c&s collection. (I remember cactusmcharris, rosemarie, teatree, priategirl, hijole, rina...) Then, I disappeared from the face of the planet (for a number of reasons - the primary being that I just didn't have time to devote to the forum anymore).

Since then, I've moved a few times, and ultimately had to give up my c&s collection. Many of them died because I just didn't have a suitable place to put them (no south-facing windows with enough room to keep plants). I tried keeping some outside under the front patio cover, but the summer California desert sun managed to find them and scorch them. I finally had to give up the last of them when we made our last move.

I now live in Northeast Ohio, and have one solitary Haworthia that my husband got me when I was feeling particularly blue (I did NOT want to leave California). I long to have a c&s collection again, but I'm afraid I have nowhere to keep them where they'll get the sun they need, and not freeze to death in the winter. I see the c&s sections in Home Depot and Lowes whenever I go in, and they just call to me like a siren...but I try to be strong and resist their adorable-ness.

I know a good number of you live in cold climates (some even colder than where I'm at now). How do you keep your collections safe and happy?

Here's a photo of the only succulent I have now, a Haworthia sp.:

I know, I know, no drainage. I water it maybe once a month. I've had it since about September of last year (2015) which was when we moved.

I'm slowly learning that I can garden with other types of plants; I'm working on making a patio planter, and I plan to grow vegetables and fruits. But I really, really, really miss my c&s.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a quick hi, and ask how y'all make the magic happen in the colder climates. Maybe I'll eventually get up the nerve to try and start a new c&s collection, especially since spring is finally here, and summer isn't too terribly far off. (I just don't know how Crassulaceae do in this part of the country/continent, and I'd be heartbroken to lose any plants.)

Hope everyone is well. And a big wave hello to my old friends who are still on this forum.

*CG*

Comments (17)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor