SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Pennsylvania treasure

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My son sent me the information about the Lockwood Mansion in Frazer. Here it is for you, especially for my fellow Main Liners-hop, skip, and a jump to drive there! It has been likened due to its historical value to La Ronda in Gladwyne which was stupidly torn down. Enjoy. It is to be auctioned on April 21. Opening bid is $250,000.

Website info:

The Lockwood Mansion was built in 1865 by William E. Lockwood, Esq., a Philadelphia businessman, and designed by famed architect Addison Hutton. At the time, it was one of the largest estates in all of Pennsylvania and was comprised of 684 acres. It was so large that it had 4 railroad stations on the property. Lockwood wanted to become a “Country Farmer” and built the home 25 miles from the city of Philadelphia, where his business, W. E. & E. Dunbar Lockwood, manufacturers of patent folding boxes, envelopes, tags, etc., was located. In 1967, the house was sold, then became famous for a time in the 1970s as the home of the Warlocks motorcycle gang. The gang's stay included a fire in the east wing and a 1973 shootout with the rival Pagans in which one Warlock was shot. The mansion was on the market for a while and now has an auction date of April 21, 2016!!

Glen Loch/Loch Aerie

Comments (5)