I just have to brag...a little
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
I just needed a little inspiration
Comments (10)Wow....I guess whatever it takes to motivate you to create is a good thing! Love the new flower....made from a fountain? So, how big is this thing? LOVE the bright color and the leaves are very cool...never thought of doing that, but sounds like the plan for future flowers. Thanks for the bright spot in my cold day!...See MoreJust a little OT. Just a little -)(-
Comments (14)This is an exceptional year here as far as temps go. Most days are above 105, and have been for over a month with no rain for over 60 days.. It's hard to tell what is dead, and what is dormant, in spite of the watering. A lot of the ferns go dormant, as do the astilbes, and will put on new growth when the fall rains come (if they do at all) but anything that puts on new growth now, if that growth dies, the plant will be a goner. I've already lost some plants for sure that way. Not sure about the hostas, I think some of the younger ones are truly fried, and not just dormant. Most of the older ones will be ok. Dicentras should be fine, they all go dormant in dry years. It isn't the drought that concerns me so much, it's the extreme heat. Most plants can live through drought. But not if they are cooked....See MoreLittle Daily Problems - Or Do I Just Have Bad Luck?
Comments (10)This is totally normal as your own GC. I don't post anymore because I'm so busy these days, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone! We're on month 14 of our build, we're our own GC's and have done pretty much everything after we were dried in, so I can totally relate. At the beginning of our build, we spent an entire day getting the batter boards set and everything was perfect, then our idiot of a renter forgot to shut one gate the next morning, and the cows got into our site and ruined everything we had just set up, took another entire night to fix that mess. I've never been so mad in my entire life...but I can kind of laugh at it now, and it does make for a good story. We deal with those little headaches every day, just remember we're not professionals, so the things that a pro would notice before they are an issue are things we might have to deal with later on. Just remember to breathe, and if you have to leave the room and break something then do it, then just get back into it, sometimes we just need to vent and then do some creative thinking to fix the situation! My DH and I are both working on the house, when one of us is doing a particularly big project, it really helps to have the other one's encouragement. For example, I'm finishing up our walk-in shower that I built completely by myself (this is my first one, can you tell I'm proud?), my DH has commented so many times that I'm doing such a great job and that he is so impressed. Those little comments make me feel so great even when I'm exhausted and don't want to continue, they really pick me up, so just keep telling your DH those things, it will keep his spirits up! Just keep your chin up, and don't sweat the small things, because in a few months you will hardly remember those issues (even some of the big one's have a way of disapearing from memory after awhile-or maybe it's just my memory is going!)....See MoreNeed a little advice on the wick I just tried
Comments (8)Thanks, Al. I never thought about the pot tip combined with the wick--great idea. I did consider a permanent wick, but was trying to think of the best material for that. I have some old cotton T shirts and washcloths I could rip up (I read that somewhere), and someone on here uses the disposable mop ends, which I think might be nylon. So I guess the pebbles make no difference if the wick is doing its job. I thought this particular soil combo would be really good. The orchid mix seemed really coarse out of the bag, had lots of bark, and I didn't see hardly any peat and dirt, but something clearly became peat-like when I watered it. I'm definitely going to get your suggested pine bark next season, if I can find it in my area. Thanks again!...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

DIY PROJECTSNeat Little Project: Build an All-in-One Storage Seat
This wonderful wooden piece boasts a wide array of uses — whether you brag about making it is entirely up to you
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSWorking With Pros: When You Just Need a Little Design Guidance
Save money with a design consultation for the big picture or specific details
Full Story
HOME OFFICESA Nice Little Desk Just Where You Want One
Do you have a desk area hiding in plain sight? These stylish work perches give rooms extra purpose
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESMicro Additions: When You Just Want a Little More Room
Bump-outs give you more space where you need it in kitchen, family room, bath and more
Full Story
CONTEMPORARY HOMESHouzz Tour: Cool, Calm and Just a Little Bit Daring
Melbourne homeowners go for a sophisticated contemporary look in their first home as a married couple
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
ORGANIZINGI Just Need Some Space!
Savvy, low-budget tricks to give your space-challenged areas some breathing room
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESA Little Sparkle, a Little Shine
Bring Glow to Your Home with Silvers, Golds and the Shimmer of Pearl
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSNeat Little Project: Make an All-in-One Stool, Mini Table and Ottoman
One piece, at least 3 uses. Plus, you can vary the measurements of this sturdy wooden stool to make it just the right size for you
Full StorySponsored
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths


jewels_ksOriginal Author