SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

So what's the deal with early risers and deciduous trees?

I'm shifting around my older hosta and adding a crapload of new ones under large trees where they will receive some really nice dappled and shifting shade- once the trees leaf out. If the hosta unfurl before the trees get their leaves, how does that work?

I mean- shade requires leaves but before the trees fill out even the best site in the world has too much sun for many if not most varieties. Do the leaves acclimate to the sun as they open each year? Or does the plant retain some sort of memory as far as year to year regarding their sun tolerance, getting happier and happier each year? Or is every leafless spring a trial to them?

Is this just a looney year with hosta opening so early and trees keeping their regular schedule? Should I rig temporary shade? Or should the early risers be relocated? If I put them in good shade now by the time the trees leaf out they will receive no sun at all, ever.

What to do?

To clarify, I am not talking about new plants that need hardening off- I know all about that. I'm talking about established plants being moved while pips are showing, then opening in place before the trees have leafed out.

I can water as much as necessary- my plan is to do so and hope for the best. Just wondering what the party line is on all this- I can't be the only one whose plants see a bit too much sun before the trees get their act together.

Comments (3)