SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Northern Rosarians What's on Order?

seil zone 6b MI
8 years ago

Since we still have a ways to wait before we can get out to plant and prune I thought we'd share our order lists!

I ordered more than I expected too really. From the mild winter and the looks of things so far I don't think I lost many roses this year. The pots are still covered (I'm hoping some warm weather this weekend will allow me to get them out) but the ones in the ground are looking very good except for a handful. Most of those were one cane wonders that I didn't expect to live anyway and even if they did I was planning to shovel prune them. But even knowing that I bought a bunch!

On order

Bold Ruler

Jolene Adams

Double Delight

Gemini

Love

Touch of Class

Tuscan Sun

Doris Day

Cutie Pie

Some potted and body bag roses already bought

Mojave

Kordes Perfecta

All American Magic

St. Patrick

Paradise

Chicago Peace

Margaret Chase Smith

First Prize

And I'll probably buy a few more potted ones from local nurseries as they get them in. Shheesh! I really am addicted!

Comments (43)

• User
    8 years ago

Yes,Seil, I'd say you have a pretty healthy addiction going there. I have already planted 6 Austin Grafted Perdita. Tomorrow 3 Crown Princess Margareta own root and 1 The Generous Gardener arrive from DAR. I already have the holes dug. Next Tuesday I am getting 2 Tournament of Roses from Jackson and Perkins... I don't really know where those are going to go... I am busting at the seams!! I'd say we both have a healthy addiction going. :)

Rebecca

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rebecca, how are you planting so soon in your zone? We still had snow on the ground last weekend.

• Related Discussions

Musings of a rosarian husband...

Q

Comments (23)
    I'm so incredibly fortunate to be Cecil's rosarian. He completely supports everything I do and without him I'd be growing weeds. I can't dig holes and he's dug hundreds for me, willingly and cheerfully. I've just re-read all your wonderful responses and my eyes are tearing up because of your sweet replies and your stories about your own wonderful husbands (including those who have a bad back and can't help as much as they'd like to), and Doug's sweet wife, and one who is gone but not forgotten.......and Florence's daughter who hopefully will some day find a man to love her as she surely deserves. I think this has all brought us a bit closer because so many of you responded and shared your personal lives. Thank you so much, and thank you Cecil for who you are and for being the catalyst for this wonderful thread. Ingrid
    ...See More

First Chore For A Northern Rose Lover

Q

Comments (8)
    Not inside the house, schutjer! Roses hate being indoors, it's too dry. An unheated garage or shed is best and they do need to be watered through the winter about once a month. It doesn't have to be a lot of water but some water will help keep them from dehydrating which is what kills them most often. I don't have a garage and my shed is too small for all of my 60 potted roses so mine go up against the back (south) wall of the house, packed in leaves and wrapped with burlap. This is the 6th winter I've done this and I have lost only a handful of roses. I've actually lost ore roses in the ground to winter than in the pot ghetto. Still waiting to get mine out of storage. I was going to start today but when I got out there...it was SNOWING! Sheesh, will it never end!
    ...See More

Northern seeds to trade-what do you have?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, I would love to do a trade with you if I have any plants or seeds you are interested in...I would like some polymonium seeds, but would really love a plant trade if you have any roots or small cuttings of smilacina, aralia racemosa and nudicalis, and actea rubrum v alba. What kind of viburnum do you have? Please see my trade list. I'm in Virginia, but many native plants would work in your zone.
    ...See More

Northern Grown Perennials order

Q

Comments (14)
    He sent me some beautiful plants as well. I don't have pictures because I was short on time when they came... I soaked them for a little while, then potted them up. They're all sitting on my porch right now until I get the beds ready, and the chicken wire up inside the fence (long story-rabbits). My bonus was Night Before Christmas. I got some great looking plants from Hallsons also. And from Made in the Shade. Picked up a couple at our local Hosta Society sale. I've got a lot of planting to do....
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

Seil, it's our weather pattern. We get the heat from Texas and get up to 110 in the summer and the cold from Canada and get down to -30 in the winter, sometimes -80 wind chills. I planted those Perditas 4 feet from the house and had no problems with 18 inch deep holes. I dug those holes the end of March. The ones I am planting now are in the shade yet and they went just fine, but that ground was frozen a couple weeks ago yet. We had a very mild winter this year with very little snow, but there are many years that I plant onions at the beginning of April. Most years, we have 6 months of winter, but not this year. So, I have been out enjoying the weather, digging those rose holes.

Rebecca

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mine is a garden make over that I hope will never need to be redone. I had hundreds of daylilies that where to hard to care for any more so most of them where dug out last year. I kept my best yellows since they blend really well. Kept a few others as well.

So in the front now there is Music Box with Italian Ice on both sides. This year I added a mass planting of Campfire.

In one bed in back a mass planting of Pink Home Run, Watercolors Home Run and Pink Double Knock Out are coming. With Julia Childs and Golden Fairy Tales in back of them.

Then there shall be more added to the white and cream bed. I also started a salmon hued bed.

I went with mostly Kordes roses and a few more Easy Elegance for the rest of the yard. The list is long thou and I hate to sound like a nut. Even thou I am.

• User
    8 years ago

Patty, You are NOT a nut! Garden makeovers are a huge job and not for the faint of heart. I love Music Box and Pink Home Run! It Should be delicious when it is done!

Seil, I haven't looked at all of your roses yet, but I know I love Touch of Class and Tuscan Sun!

Seil and Patty, PLEASE share photos when all is done!

Rebecca

• mnkittyz4
    8 years ago

I planted one yesterday (Spirit of Freedom). I'm in zone 4 as well, and it was 68 yesterday, 76 today and more seventies to come. Although, in MN we could drop 30 degrees in a day. I also ordered:

Royal Jubilee

Huntington Rose

Wise Portia

Heritage - replacement

Princess Anne

Gentle Hermione

Twilight Zone

Ebb Tide

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad. I guess I could order some more. Although, I don't know where they'd go, and I need some Clematis and I'm sure other things. However, I never got to see Munstead Wood bloom, and I should get an Abraham Darby for my daughters (the one rose they both think they like from pictures). I also have been wanting Louise Odier and Princess Alexandra of Kent and Nahema and too many others. It could go on forever. I must try to remember the work and the bugs and the short growing season and I'm not getting younger. Sounds depressing. I better order some more roses to cheer myself up. Lol

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    8 years ago

I think I must be moving (or shoveling) twice as much as I am buying. Do other people do that? I keep telling myself this is it, I finally have the prefect design, this year the gardens will be done. Who am I kidding? Here is what's new:

• Golden Wings
    • Sombrueil
    • Mountain Mignonette
    • Purple Rain
    • Bill Reid
    • ...(maybe) Marjorie Faire

There's always room for more minis:

• Iced Raspberry
    • Red Minimo

Anyone know where I can find Absolutley?

Lots of DAs:

• The Poet's Wife
    • Fighting Temeraire
    • Wise Portia
    • Yellow Buttons
    • Prospero
    • The Dark Lady
    • Will Shakespeare 2000
    • Lady Emma Hamilton
    • Windermere
    • Tranquillity
    • Abe Darby
    • Tess
    • Evelyn

Roses I like so much that I'm planting more:

• Morden Sunrise
    • Midnight Blue
    • Lady of Shalott
    • Darcey Bussell
    • Sohphy's Rose
    • Rhapsody in Blue

Still deciding on a climber to go opposite Purple Splash: Night Owl or Stormy Weather or another Purple Splash or...?

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Only planting two this year... Julia Child & Carefree Celebration...

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

I'm not a northern gardener, but some of you have similar tastes to mine, and you have some gorgeous roses too! So I enjoy seeing what you all are planting this year. Hope you all have a great rose season!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, Rebecca, you do get wild temperature swings! I hope I can start planting by May 1st here.

Patty, kudos for taking on a big job! I have Watercolors Home Run and I wasn't impressed with it but everyone else I know says they love theirs. I think I'm going to try moving mine to a different spot and see if it will bloom more for me.

mnkitty, nice list! No it isn't too bad so I think you deserve a few more for being so good, lol!

OK, Ratdogheads and nummykitchen, your lists make me feel much better, lol!

Ratdog, take a look at the climber Above All. I got it last year and it has been fabulous!

Nummy, all of your "trying again" roses I've tried too. With the exception of Tuscan Sun, which did fairly well for me, the rest were all duds for me too. Either wimpy non-growing plants or very winter tender. And a lot of the white ones just won't open in our high humidities here in lake country. I'm shovel pruning both Lady X and Moonlight Magic this spring because they went from pretty good size bare roots to one cane wonders in one season. I hate roses that grow backwards!

Jim, I applaud your restraint!

Sara, even though you're not "up north", so to speak, you are in a cold zone and that counts too!

• nummykitchen
    8 years ago

Seil, you are right on with those trying again roses. My first Honor was a body bag a few years ago and the blooms were gorgeous but it never made it so I ordered an Honor for J&P this year hoping it will be better quality and last. It is unfortunate that the whites are hard to grow here, they are so beautiful, one of my favorites for sure. Moonlight Magic fizzled out on me too so not much hope for this new one but maybe I'll get lucky with it. Good luck with your new ones, it will be fun to see how our gardens progress this spring!

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    8 years ago

I ordered way more than I should have this year, BUT I do have some roses that have not turned out as well as I thought they would so my excuse is that I will be digging some out and I need replacements. What my excuse for the others I ordered - and where I will put them - well, that I can't say. ;-) Here's what's new for me this year:

The 1812 Rose

Rock N Roll

Poseidon (I got Neptune last year but hear Poseidon is better - ?)

Souvenir de Louis Amade

Darcy Bussell

Munstead Wood (a replacement for one I lost somehow in my move)

Above & Beyond

Dupuy Jamain

Dee Lish

Fiji

Souvenir de Baden-Baden

Music Box

Yes, call me incorrigible, too. It's part of the allure of spring, those boxes with new roses arriving on the doorstep - always thrilling. And now our snow is finally totally gone so I have just spent an entire weekend outdoors doing clean up. I'm ready to plant now!!

Anne

8 years ago

Anne it is so exciting the anticipation of spring and the arrival of the box. The planning starts for me in fall of the previous year. I'm already keeping an eye out for healthy minis. Just in case the yard fills up.

• rose_crazy_da
    8 years ago

I ordered five from Palatine( see list below ) , I was suppose to pick them up on the 13 but it was too cold so I pushed it to 23 April, I cant wait. In the mean time I went and bought Ten ( Body bags) at Wal-Mart and HD

1 "South Africa"

1 "Duftzauber 84"

1 "Buxom Beauty"

1 "Beverly"

1 "Ascot"

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

These are all great lists and I can't wait until we can all share pictures of our new roses!

8 years ago

Excellent lists indeed, Even saw a few that I forgot about ordering.

Ratdoghead, can't believe I forgot to order Mountian Mignonette. Top of list now for 2017. Hope it does well for you.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    8 years ago

Patty - I notice you say the daylilies became too much work for you.. How come? I actually just began adding a lot to my beds as fillers and now I wonder if that was wrong . I've only ever had a few and never paid much attention to them.

8 years ago

Lily, I still have probably a good fifty that I kept. I noticed on your other thread that it looks like you have a lot of nice space to work with. For me here are the reasons for the departure of many. They are at their most beautiful in their first and second years. By year 4 the average daylily needs dug and divided here. I have space but not like a lovely farm. Since I'm in my sixties and have a disfiguring form of arthritis I can't dig hundreds of clumps. I kind of fell for the daylilies don't have many problems line. They do have problems and diseases. For pests daylilies are favorites for spider mites, thrips and tarnished plant bugs among others. Daylily leaf streak is as ugly as rust to me. But like I said mine is a smaller space. So having the ugly ratty foliage so close to me was a bit more than I could tolerate. Kind of the same as having bs on all of the rose leaves. I will say that my roses have not been bothered once with spider mites since daylilies came to live here.

Now if I were back on the farm. I'd likely still have them all. As long those huge clumps never had to be divided. Almost like digging a mature miscanthus grass from your yard.

Nearly for got the final straw was daylily bulb mites It went from one infected plant to ten in a year. The following year they all had them.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    8 years ago

Yikes patty ! I had no idea they could be trouble makers . I'm sorry to hear you have arthritis , that must be very painful. I'll keep the dividing rule in mind , I haven't planted too many so I should be ok for now.

I do have a lot of space but I tend to let projects get away from me ! I'm trying to keep my garden in a smaller area for now . Someday I'll take over the whole yard ! My poor dh has seen some real disasters . Dosnt stop me though!! Lucky he dosnt come look around more often .

• Holly Kline
    8 years ago

Mine have started arriving! Super happy. I've got/have coming:

Sunsprite (bought a tree)

JFK (body bag)

Double Delight (body bag)

Dream Come True (just arrived!)

Guy Savoy

Marilyn Monroe

Abracadabra

Henri Matisse

Rainbow Niagara

Rock 'n Roll (the striped one)

Queen Charlotte

Electron

Lady of Shalott

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    8 years ago

Holly, are you planting the Sunsprite tree in a pot that you can protect or will it go in the ground? I'm curious to know about tree rose survival tactics in z5.

Seil, I checked out Above all and would love to find a place for it someday. Right now I'm looking for something to go alongside my purple splash. I like contrast but not that much contrast ;)

Patty and anyone looking for hardy, healthy minis, Lupo really wowed me this year. Completely tip hardy in a winter where we had temps drop to -15 with nearly no protective snow cover.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

I am restraining myself this year and will only buy the roses I've always wanted. No more impulsive buys this year. I am planning to hire a landscaper to install stone patio either this year or next year, so I can't afford to plant lots of stuff and having it moved later.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm on a good sized subdivision lot but day lilies do take space. And I just never got into them. Too much plant to flowering ratio for me. I like a lot of big blooms on my plants.

Oh come on, ratdog, I love orange and purple together! Actually AA isn't a bright orange like Fragrant Cloud. It's more of a coral/pink orange.

Great list Holly!

Oh, jj, I should be following your example but I lost all control!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

I'm late to the party but there are some really fantastic lists here! Anne, I don't have Neptune but I do have Poseidon and it's been excellent. Excellent vigor and blooms all over the place!

Most of mine have come through the weather looking really good. Twilight Zone and Marilyn Monroe are the only two that look like I"ll have to cut back almost to ground.

I'm pretty proud of my restraint this year. Well, proud and seriously considering buying more! Maybe it was just good planning for going to the local nursery...

I'm expecting only from DAR:

Crocus Rose

Tuscany Superb

Camaieux

Darcy Bussell

Queen of Sweden.

I did consider replacing Tattooed Lady but decided to blow my phytosanitary certificate budget on irises instead. :)

• mudpie7
    8 years ago

Impressive to see how brave others are to tackle receiving a big order. I have nervous butterflies over the last two days knowing my three are in shipment. Mail tracking shows Abe Darby, Jude the Obscure, and Charles de Mills arrived at the local Post Office as the day dawned. Have a few hours for the last minute preparations. I never went all out like this before; fancy expensive Organic dirt and fertilizer, you would think David Austin himself was coming in the box.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

More roses to look forward to seeing!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    8 years ago

You reaaaalllly don't want to see the complete list of what I've ordered this year since once again I'm over 300 roses (370 and counting I fear). I'll hit the vendors and numbers and a few highlights of ones I'm really excited about (in chronological order of first order time more or less):

Heirloom - 65 roses (I buy wholesale from them and Roses Unlimited). Highlights: looking forward to Cloud 10, Safari Freelander, Charity, and lots of "try agains" for roses (e.g. Desiree, Madame Delbard, The Prince, Tom Brown, and inexplicably Jeanne Lajoie after 10 successful years)

Rogue Valley - 61 and 12 mystery roses. Highlights: Marianne, Song of the Stars, Salet (finally biting the bullet with once-bloomers), Treasure Trail, Won Fang Yon, and determined to overwinter Jeri Jennings (continuing with the Paul Barden theme), Stadtrat Glaser, and my long-desired Deuil de Paul Fontaine!!

Northland - 12 roses. Highlights - Apricot Vigorosa, Morden Sunrise, Quick Silver, and OSO Easy Italian Ice and Paprika

Palatine (already planted last weekend) - 27. Highlights: Honeymoon, Le Petit Prince, Monte Carlo Country Club, Foxy Lady, and the "please stop singing that song in my head" Copacabana (just typing it starts up the foul loop again)

Chamblees - 23 roses. Highlights: Polar Express, Madame Anisette, Tupelo Honey, Summer Romance, Eglantyne (the real one this time) and several "try agains"

Burlington - 44 roses. Highlights: Blue Boy, La France, Mrs. Herbert Stephens, Phantom of the Opera, the real Reine des Violettes, Jean Kinneally mini, Soroptimist International, Suntan Beauty, and Love and Peace mini

Regans - 21 roses (already planted last weekend too): Highlights: Love Song, Fired Up, Dark Night (3rd time's the charm?), Lasting Peace, Marilyn Monroe

High Country Roses - 16 roses. Highlights: Victorian Memory, Winnipeg Parks, Pretty Lady Rose, Emily Carr, Morden Belle and Morden Ruby

Long Ago Roses - 16 roses. Highlights: General Gallieni (continuing a successful streak of teas), Simon Estes, Strawberry Ice, Tess of the D'Ubervilles

Roses Unlimited - 66 roses (my other bulk/wholesale order). Highlights: Florence Delattre, Fergus Games, Lillian, Pink Traviata, Sebastian Kneipp, Earth Angel, Lone Star, and "try agains": Jump for Joy, Boulie's Dream, Clare de Lune, Fantasia Mondiale, Pascali, Peter Mayle, Versigny,

Edmunds - 1 rose (Pretty in Pink Eden)

Antique Rose Emporium - 4 roses: Anson Jones, Lady Pamela Carol, Mier Y Teran, Republic of Texas

David Austin - 5 roses: Lady Emma Hamilton, Olivia Rose Austin, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Susan Williams-Ellis, and The Lady Gardener (replacement)

Jackson & Perkins - 10 roses: Highlights: Caribbean Breeze, Pure Posh, Daring Spirit, and another try at Disneyland

Hortico: 10 roses. Highlights - well, replacing my Nahema was SUPPOSED to be the highlight of this order but their website inexplicably changes the link for 5 specific climbers including Nahema to 5 absolutely random climbers as I discovered when it arrived Monday. Still working it out with their production system days later (I'll keep you posted). OTher interesting ones: Dronning Ingrid, and try-agains Isabel Renaissance & Tatton

Ludwigs - 11 roses already planted back in March: Highlights ALL OF THEM: Artista Panarosa, Beauty from Within, Candice, Flame Festival, Just Imagine, Liz McGrath, Mama Africa, Myrthe, Purple Lodge, SOS Children's Rose, The Painter

Needless to say I'll be busy for the next several weeks. At least 60% of these remaining are due to arrive this week...
    Cynthia

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 years ago

Oh, Cynthia, all will be beautiful but so much work!

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    8 years ago

Wow, Cynthia! You must have quite the space! Will you post some pictures please? I went crazy this year. Don't know where I am going to put everything as we only have a typical lot-.3 acre...maybe a rose fence??

Ascot

3 florentina

Quietness

Summer memmories

Summer romance

3 summer sun

2 nahema

2 dames de chenonceau

Richards rose

Scentimental

Scepter D'Isle

3 munstead wood

Wollerton Old Hall

Crocus

Royal Jubilee (gift, thanks julie!!)

Sir John Betjamin standard (yes, for a pot, I know not for zone 4 winters!)

Heathcliff

Ambridge

Tamora

Gram thomas

Fields of the wood/Rhode Island red

Alexander mackenzie

Alchemist

Quadra

Fiji

Purple plum

Poseidon

Jolie veranda

Lions Fairy tale

Cream veranda

Carmella Fairy tale

Silver shadows

Honeysweet

Dame de coeur

Lavender veranda

South Africa

Love song

First impression

Madame anisette

Pomponella

Grande amore

Polonaise (for my mom)

Earth angel

2 dark desire

Heaven on earth

Bulls eye...what am I forgetting?

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    8 years ago

Just when you have convinced yourself that your rose obsession has reached its outer limits, Cynthia comes along and reminds us that we really haven't even scratched the surface...

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OMG! Cynthia, I can't imagine having that many roses to plant all at once. I'm a little over whelmed to have 20 to plant, lol!

Kelly, your list is pretty impressive too!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

Those are some serious lists! Anybody else imagining a garden-tour road trip? :)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    8 years ago

No kidding, Redwolfdoc - wouldn't that be a kick if we could link all of our gardens together in a big tour? You could start from where ever you live and drive the loop! Well, it would be great fun, but the garden I would go out of my way to see is Cynthia's in Nebraska. Holy cow! I cannot even imagine planting all of those in one spring. Cynthia, do you have help??

(And here I was, congratulating myself on getting the 6 of mine that have arrived so far planted this week. Ha!)

Anne

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

I enjoy reading everyone's lists, some great roses, and very ambitious rosarians!

Roses I've planted so far:

Gemini

Bella'roma

Dream Come True

Gold Medal

Easy Does It

Veteran's Honor

Pink Promise

Blue Girl

Proud Land

Color Magic

Touch Of Class

Kordes Golden Gate

Duplicates of roses I already have, mostly because I really like them, but some are back up roses for some less than vigorous growers:

Double Delight

Julia Child

Love Song

Folklore

Peace

Royal Amethyst

Other roses I have coming:

Quietness

Amber Queen

Cl. Caroline Testout

Blossomtime

• mudpie7
    8 years ago

I really did want to see Nippstess complete list, had to recharge the tablet just to read what was there. Wondering if Star of the Republic was one of them from ARE.

8 years ago

I know what I forgot...Rosarium Uetersen, prairie star and bolero...where did you find blossomtime, Sara-Ann? Looks divine....

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Kelly, it is a lovely rose, isn't it. I fell in love with Pat's. I ordered it from Burlington.

8 years ago

I wonder how cold hardy it is?

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm glad everyone is having so much fun with this!

• braverichard (6a, North MO)
    8 years ago

Cynthia I'm begging for a garden visit! You aren't too far from me! LOL damn... all those roses. You must have 10 acres!

I have 78 to plant this year and I thought I was insane! LOL

• Holly Kline
    8 years ago

Cynthia, I'm so envious! I wish I had half that much space!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    8 years ago

Now see, you all give me a great purpose for being here on Gardenweb, and Ratdogheads nailed it - I'm obviously here to make you all look entirely reasonable and appropriate in your own rose obsessions to your friends and family. "Gee honey, I may have ordered a lot of roses this year, but I'M NOT AS BAD AS CYNTHIA..." Feel free to use me as the Ogre if it gets you out of the Rose Doghouse. I'm fortunately still a piker in terms of numbers of roses compared to Beth in California, so I'm not rose obsessed exactly. Nope, not even when I stopped by last night when I had an hour to kill and bought yet 12 MORE roses at various big box stores (but they had Waiheke...). This does force me to be efficient at rose planting, which isn't a bad thing since I can move through about 40 roses in a day as long as they're not bare roots (took 2 whole days to plant 40 bare roots last weekend). As I say, good soil makes this possible, not to mention the whole 2" of rain we got over the week that took the ground from rock-hard to nice and fluffy again.

No AnneCecelia, I have no help in the garden most years and I usually plant in the hundreds of roses, not to mention vegetable and fruit beds. Just this year my teenaged daughter has volunteered to help me premix the manure and alfalfa and soil conditioner into 5-gallon pots (35 or so at a time) which greatly cuts down my down time, since I can spend all mine rose planting. Even as bored as she gets however, she's not willing to wade into the rose beds, since they're not only closely planted but chock full of tulips and other bulbs blooming this time of year (see, I'm not that obsessed with roses, there are also bulbs and daylilies!). And BraveRichard, & Holly I don't really have all that much space either - my front yard is average suburbia and my back yard about double average - it's just that I plant pretty closely and clearly don't know when enough is enough. I'll take a picture of the whole yard when things get rolling in spring to show it's densely packed rather than huge.

Sara and Kelly - you definitely have your work cut out for you as well, since you have your own long lists! Kelly, I'd say you definitely need a rose fence around the edge since I counted at least 10 roses that will climb for you even in zone 4, starting and most definitely with Quadra. Don't let him get out of hand.

Mudpie, Star of the Republic wasn't on my ARE list for this year, but I planted it from them last year. So far it hasn't done much, but it's not in prime real estate. The one from ARE that knocked my socks off was Rockwall Sesquicentennial. My word, that rose hit the ground running and bloomed most of the season pretty thickly. I'm waiting for more good things from that rose this second year, and it's not in prime real estate either.

You are all cordially invited for a visit any time, and things will probably get nice in early June this year. There's a lot of surviving rose cane, so it's liable to be a good rose year. The only requirement is that I get to turn the tables and stop by to see your yards! Nothing rose gardeners like better than to share their best with other rose gardeners - heck, that's the reason GW roses exists!

Cynthia