SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_janni

IKEA order in - some observations

8 years ago

Got our HUGE order in yesterday - prior to the end of the sale. THANK YOU to all the GW folks for helping solidify my plan. Wanted to share some observations:

• Even though we had agonized over the plan and even done handle placement - we still made some last minute changes at the store based on the displays and touching / feeling how things work / open. Give yourself enough time to make changes - especially if you don't live close to an IKEA (we are about 2.5 hours away)
  • Do your plan on the planner. Print it out. Then you can make changes on the paper. I then tried to log on at the store and make changes online and it was frustrating (like not showing the 30" handles being available on a 30" tall wall cabinet) - so I quit. The Kitchen planner / employee was able to easily deal with my written changes.
  • I thought Wednesday might be a good day. It was - but I should have gone later. I was there at 11 and it was really busy - waited 1.5 hours to complete my order. Actual order took only 1 hour - she was really fast - and I have a LOT of items. 1 - 1:30 - right after lunch appears to be a very good time.
  • Since my order was large, she worked with me to split it into 2 order so that I could immediately use my gift card (from large order number 1) to apply to payment on order #2. We made order #2 close to $4K in order to get the gift card on that too. I can use the $671 that I have "left over" (ha!) for some PAX unit stuff I will get when that goes on sale. The Kitchen person was superb, understood what I was trying to do and there were NO ISSUES with using the immediately prior issued gift card.
  • One downside of breaking it into 2 order is that you get charged 2 delivery fees. However, the $99 delivery fee to my house is ridiculously low. I have almost 900 individual items. I am setting up delivery for the day before a long weekend - because I'll need it for check in.
  • Order extra random cheap pieces - like the suspension rail and toe kicks. Toe kicks are long and can be damaged probably pretty easily. I ordered extra hinges, a couple large closeout panels (largest being 96x96 I think) and sometimes getting the longer 25" wide panel or the 15" wide panel makes more sense than just adding a side panel to the planner. I like having options...
  • I only have a few upper cabinets that are "open" to the counter below - but consider getting the 15" wide panels to go UNDER those cabinets if you do have them. if you bias them towards the front, you can have less of a reveal for the under cabinet lighting and the panel will hide the cam locks and the individual boxes. The lighting and panel combo is VERY clean looking.
  • Last item - and one that made me THRILLED - she set up the order to pull from the warehouse. I don't need these things right now and wanted to push out the order - but read about the $10/day storage (times 2 because I have to orders...) but... orders from the distribution center / warehouse DO NOT GET CHARGED STORAGE FEES. Holy moly - that was just huge for me. I schedule it out until the end of June. I am pretty sure I will have room in my trailer / basement by then - but I can also reschedule it out further at no charge. AWESOME

Hope this helps folks.

I truly believe that taking time to plan and install the cabinets will provide a very nice custom look for a fraction of custom cabinets. It also helps that I didn't have any corners, and I was able to make my walls fit my kitchen - but there is just so much interior fitment customization available and the future ability to change doors - IKEA seemed like the right answer for me.

Comments (18)