SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjeko_gw

What's killing my fruit plants/trees

vjeko
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a small vegetable garden on the west side of the house. Along the perimeter wall I have berries and on the paths I had the following young trees - 2 apricots, a small sour cherry and a fig. On the east side I had 3 small cherries and pomegranates. Last year the buds on the apricots didn't open, same with the oldest cherry and the guy in the nursery said he's not sure but it could be a problem with the stock/trees themselves - so I pulled them out. The fig died also -maybe I was responsible for this to some degree as I had pruned it pretty hard prior to winter and it had just developed cracks between the branches and the trunk.

Getting back to this year, I cut back the sour cherry pretty hard in early spring as it had not been pruned for several years and it was overgrown in all directions and now the branches have turned a greyish color (some buds are also greyish, some still brown) and a very small strand/like from a web can be seen near some buds and buds are not opening. The same has happened with two black currants (at least I think it's the black currants - dark red and grey branches - the red currants have a more light brown branch and they are doing well).

Any ideas ?

Comments (25)