SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gailretske

I dont trust my countertop company any longer!

Gayle Retske
8 years ago

I need advice. I hired a designer Dec 2015 who recommended a countertop company. On Dec 30 I emailed both the designer and countertop company the model # and specs for the cooktop, hood/range, faucet and disposal button that I had picked. Early January I received an estimate stating Cambria for the perimeter of my kitchen and Silestone for the island for a total amount. I sent the required deposit. Everything was to be done by the end of March. March 9th I received an email from the designer stating that the countertop installer quoted the wrong countertop for the island and that Silestone would be $1,000 more and he has to order an entire slab. Then another email that the double sinks would be $155 more she quoted because I wanted 9 1/2 inches deep. Then, a week later received another email that if I want 1 seam in the countertop rather than 3, it would be an extra $550. Although upset by the money, we agreed to pay. My questions are these: 1) if we are paying for a slab of Silestone, don't we own the slab? According to the countertop store, we don't own it but he will sell the remaining pieces at remnant price. 2) is it normal to pay extra ($550) to have only 1 seam rather than 3 (this counter top will be installed around an electric cooktop) and 3) when installing the undercount stainless steel double sink, should it be flush with the countertop? Thank you so much for any comments and/or help.

Comments (39)