SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Books as travel mementoes?

netla
8 years ago

I am sure some of you, like myself, have an out of date guidebook or a photo book (or two) lurking in a bookcase as a memento of a bygone holiday, but how many of you buy other kinds of books that become mementoes/souvenirs?

I own a number of books I have bought on my travels. Just the sight of them takes me back to the places where I bought (and in some cases read) them. Most have something to do with the actual place or country I was visiting, although some don't and were simply bought there and became linked to the place in my mind. Although I collect cookbooks from countries/regions I've visited, these generally do not evoke such memories, but the dishes I cook from them certainly do.

It's the travelogues, the history books, the memoirs and one or two novels that do this for me. For example, on my first visit to India in 1997 I bought a couple of books about the Raj era that never fail to remind me of that visit; on my second visit I bought books about contemporary India and a mystery novel set on a train that I took while there; while visiting the Natural History Museum in London I bought a book about the museum and some of its more memorable staff members; and on my latest visit to England I bought a book about the great British holiday and Bill Bryson's follow-up book to Notes from a Small Island. I expect at least the former will become one of those evocative books for me.

How about you? What books (and what kinds of books) have you bought that have become mementoes/souvenirs that remind you of places or events during your holidays?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths