SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Mythical critters we'd love to see in our rose gardens

Hi folks

This weekend I found not only TONS of roses that were shredded by what I suspect to be squirrels in my yard, but also an apple tree and the friggin' shed DOOR that they'd been chewing on (6' up so it's probably not mice or voles). I ask you, how much nutrition do they expect to find from a DOOR. The little varmints also love to dig up my blooming flower bulbs at will and take a bite. Oh, not more than one bite, since daffodils are poisonous to squirrels, but it doesn't stop them from moving all the way down the row digging up more daffodils and tulips. "Duhhhh, Ralphie, dat round thing tasted awful! Let's see if this one that looks and smells exactly the same tastes any different. Nope! Let's try them all just in case..." Sadly, daffodils don't seem to be lethal to squirrels - not that I'd remotely poison any creature on purpose (even mice) but if they're dumb enough to KEEP digging them up...

Combine this with my biweekly dandelion hunt in what's left of my lawn (and the neighbors' lawns) to dig up those never-ending floral pests. I got to thinking - what if we could combine these pests? What if there were squirrels that ate and dug up dandelions rather than freshly planted roses or (ahem) rows of blooming flower bulbs? We might actually encourage the little tree rats to hang out in our yards then! Or how about tame (quiet) chickens that only ate Japanese beetles and pooped straight into your compost pile? Voles that only burrowed under and ate the roots of bindweed and bermuda grass? Hey, if they're going to go for food that's plentiful and never-ending, it's possible!

I've been working to entice the rare and fleeting wild teenager into my own yard, but sadly the only incentives I've been able to manage hover between extreme boredom and cold hard cash (neither incentive do I want to encourage). Too bad, as I have two likely suspects with considerable potential, but I have high hopes once the strawberries and blueberries start bearing that I can come up with more context-appropriate incentives. Even the snow peas will have the desired effect at a pinch.

What about you? What mythical creatures can you invent that you'd gleefully invite into your rose garden?

Cynthia

Comments (44)