SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rbond421

built in "hutch" or "buffet" in dining room

R Bond
8 years ago

Hello Gardenwebbers, thanks so much in advance for your input.

We are in the final stages of our kitchen/dining room remodel, which included moving and removing walls, putting new windows in a brick exterior wall, and adding lots of light, sunshiney cooking and living space. (lots being a relative term; ours is a modest city house) and I am putting some cabinets in the adjacent dining room to help with some of the storage needs, including lesser-used pantry items, grab and go snacks and the microwave.

in the kitchen we are using walnut cabs with only 2 uppers (on the fridge wall), in white.

I am drawn to the sleek, simple look of a buffet with counter top and possibly a row of uppers, but have been planning on flanking both sides with 24 inch panties for more storage and small appliances like the microwave and coffee maker. I have 117 inches total width, 21 inches depth.

Here are my questions: can it look balanced with only one pantry? or should I do away with both pantries for a less squished, more simplified look? or is there some other solution?

also, the area is plumbed for a sink. I'm concerned about it losing the simple lines by adding a sink, and we won't be doing prep work or washing there, it would be for getting water, entertaining (which we do a lot), a sort of wet bar without really having booze and glassware out an open.

Here are photos of my disaster-state living through major remod with family of 5:

this is how the kitchen and dining area relate. the mess in the middle is an 82"x41" island.

there will not be any wall cabs on the back, window wall. the cabs in these photos are temps to hold up the plywood counters. new base cabs will extend to the right toward the door.

and then the dining space with pantry layout taped to the wall. the uppers have since been re-designed upward to leave almost 3' of space between counter and wall cabs.

if we have a full wall of cabs, they will be painted the same white as the wall cabs in the kitchen. if buffet style (bases and walls without pantry) I like walnut bases and white walls to match the kitchen. all shaker.

so, what do you think? pantries or no? sink or no? single pantry?

thanks again.

Comments (12)