SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

First Tomato Fruit Have Broken Color & Are Turning....

And I am going to harvest the first couple of tomatoes today and let them finish ripening indoors because it is so early in the season and so dry that I worry birds will peck them.

These are fruit from the tomato plants I purchased at a Lowe's in the D-FW metro area on February 1st. I potted them up into larger containers and carried them outside every morning that was above freezing, and indoors every night no matter what. They spent their nights in the unheated mudroom which never dropped below the mid-50s this winter. We usually get fruit from these early plants before the end of April, but never have had them ripen before mid-April. At some point, I generally do go ahead and put them in the ground well ahead of our home-grown plants that are younger and smaller. As expected, the two Bush Early GIrls are producing the first fruit that have made it to the 'turning' stage, which one other plant (I can't remember which, but it is either Big Beef or Beefmaster) has fruit that is breaking color.

All the early plants went into the ground 3 or 4 weeks ago, with row cover protection on cold nights as needed, except for the two Bush Early GIrls. Those two were so heavily loaded with fruit (now roughly 20 tomatoes on each plant) that I was worried I'd break limbs when transplanted them, so I left them in their medium-sized pots and carried them in and out. Last week, though, they hit the point where they were root-bound and starting to wilt at mid-day. Wanting to avoid BER caused by uneven moisture levels, I finally crossed my fingers and potted them up to very large containers (so heavy that I cannot move them alone), and placed those two large containers (before filling them with their growing medium) at the west end of the garden where adjacent trees would provide some hail protection.

The first BLTs of the season made with home-grown tomatoes are just a few days away now. I'm so pleased. All those days of having to carry the early plants in and out and covering them up in the garden on cold nights after they went into the ground there are well worth it. Here we are, harvesting our first tomatoes from those purchased plants during the same week I've been putting our home-grown plants in the ground. If all goes as planned, our tomato harvest will run this year from early April through at least late November.

I do find it interesting that some of the in-ground plants that have been exposed to a month of highly variable weather are producing ripening fruit only a couple of days behind the Bush Early Girls that had much warmer nights indoors.

Now, for those of you wondering what the difference is in fruit that are breaking color versus turning, I've linked the color change chart below. I'm going to link a page from Margaret Roach's outstanding garden blog, A Way To Garden, because the small print on her copy of the chart is more legible than the small print on the copy of the chart I have saved in my online bookmarks. Her blog, also, is excellent, by the way, as are her books.

A Way To Garden's page with the Color Change chart

Comments (27)