SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexia_raya

Could I grow a mango sprout in the same pot as my plum tree?

Alexia Raya
8 years ago

In order to save money for the time being I'd like to put two plants together in a pot 22" wide x 18" deep. Could I... leave it there? I want both trees to grow as fully as possible despite being kept as potted plants. The container which houses a two year plum is filled with gritty mix so I feel the roots would be freer to either both plants' good fortune or detriment when sat together. I don't know how long I'm going to keep my plum potted, so in time it ~might~ eventually move outside where I can prune it to grow a little bigger. The little mango is just a tiny thing but I could still see inconvenience or being choked out. While I'm weighing all of this in my mind, I'm already semi-convinced to just go for it maybe until I feel the mango's gotten too big. Would leaving the plants to inhabit together for a long time (read: months or years) be okay?

If you're wondering why I'm inquiring instead of buying a larger pot, I'm seventeen living under my parents' roof and working minimum wage. Just to give you some perspective every penny counts and I've rediscovered gardening... so of course I want to focus my attention on every area in my care at once..! but I want to do it as cheaply as possible. BUT if the plants deserve separate pots then I guess I can get a smaller one for the mango and pot up :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting