SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpmom

Question about Design Fee

jpmom
8 years ago

Need some guidance here.

We have been working on a plan to do some kitchen updates. We approached a company in the late fall to handle the cabinet painting. Since then, they have taken somewhat of an ownership role off the project - and while I don't really consider them "designers" — they are moving in that direction and have managed several renos this year. They have had some good ideas and have given us "guidance" through the process. I feel like we have come up with many of the concepts together. I did a lot of research myself, and forwarded them photos, etc.

They have moved beyond just painting - and are getting more into renovations. They have subs (fabricators, tiles guys, cabinet makers etc).

We've gone back and forth 5 or 6 times on the scope of the project. Started out small - then it morphed to something much bigger (replacing counters, modifying cabinetry). Now we've pulled back and are happy where we are. They came out and measured several times.

Never in the process did they mention a design fee. However, I did give them a $1500 non-refundable deposit that "would be applied to the project". She said it was more or less to protect them should we pull out, since they were spending a lot of time on it.

We made final decisions and are super excited with where the project is going. And as soon as my electrician moves/installs a couple of outlets - we are ready to go.

She just emailed me the revised plan, and has included a design fee. This is what she said:

"We have implemented an industry standard fee for design and project management on our kitchen remodeling projects. I have reduced this to $1,500.00 for yours as it wasn’t a standard charge when we initially quoted your project. As you’ve given us $1,500.00, this will cancel out the fee."

I have a problem with this. Do you agree?

Comments (64)