SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stelmoqn

Flooring for Retirement Home in Mountains

stelmoqn
8 years ago

Our retirement home is under construction in Western Colorado and we cannot decide on flooring. It is a true mountain style home - open floorplan with two story great room open to kitchen and dining, with master and a guest bed downstairs, and big loft and two bedrooms upstairs.

My DH, like all men, is only concerned with what flooring is going to cost. I, like all women, am worried not only about how it is going to look, but how easy it will be to keep clean. We are going to be on acreage in a country setting, with multiple ponds and several field golden retrievers.

We currently have a mix of hardwood and carpet (tile in bathrooms & laundry room) in our current house, and I HATE my Brazilian cherry hardwood and carpet with a passion. I know dark hardwoods show scratches and dirt much more than light to medium hardwoods, but any hardwood is still prone to scratching, especially with dogs and dirt which will inherently come in from a country setting. Carpet is a mixed bag for me - I like the warmth of it on a cold Colorado morning, but I hate the dust and dog hair, not to mention the nightmare of cleaning up after a sick dog.

All of that being said, we had a beautiful laminate floor in the previous house. It was easy to clean and took the wear and tear of the dogs. I'm seriously leaning toward a handscraped laminate in the retirement house, but my only worry is how well it might hold up at the entries of the house with snow in the winter months. My thought is to put laminate throughout the first floor with the exception of the bathrooms and utility rooms, but DH really wants carpet in the bedrooms - our dogs sleep in our bedroom and he doesn't want to hear them moving around at night. I am more concerned about keeping a clean floor in the bedroom, since we will have French doors and a deck coming into the bedroom.

Thinking of continuing the laminate (or matching hardwood) for the stairs (no landing) and then carpeting the entire upstairs. We will pretty much live on the first floor and I can live with carpet on the second floor.

Any thoughts? I know I keep hearing LVT popping out on these forums - I currently have them in my basement bathroom, and while they look good in the basement, I just can't see them through the first floor of my house. Would engineered hardwood be a worthy rival in this scenario? Again, cost will be a driving factor with DH, so if a suitable engineered hardwood would come in at about the same cost as doing laminate, I'm all ears.

Sorry for long post...up early thinking about all the decisions that need to be made in next few days...

Comments (4)