SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Let the Testing Begin

mamapinky0
8 years ago

As mentioned in another post I am going to test the Tide Booster Paks for Whites and Brights, I haven't picked these up yet but will do so this week. I have prepared the flour sack cloths (cut one in half) with

Ketchup

Mustard

Blueberry (juice from fresh blueberrie)

Chocolate

Pizza Sauce

I just finished preparing these and they will sit and dry until I get to the store.

Now we need a detergent as the Tide Paks are boosters. I'm listing a few detergents to choose from .. Larsi if you would please take count and let us know which detergent wins.

Tide with Bleach powder

US Persil Pearls

I think its only fair we use a WHITES detergent as the cloths are white and these two seem to dominate the US market for whitening and also I rather like the idea of pitting these two companies against each other.

Let the voting begin...

Comments (54)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As far as the discontinued Tide booster paks, they did work well, probably too well which is why P$G discontinued them lol.

• georgect
    8 years ago

I say use the Persil Power Pearls as it wasn't rated as highly as Tide W/Bleach (in the latest tests at CR).

This will test the helping power of the Tide Boost instead of relying on the ingredients in Tide to do the bulk of the work.

• Related Discussions

Let the harvest begin......

Q

Comments (9)
    It's truly amazing how things can turn around. About a month ago I had thrown my hands up on gardening and would have expected nothing less than a miracle to change my outlook. Well, I'm not saying a miracle happened but things certainly have changed......for the better. A little taste testing and photo session about to begin: A variety of tomatoes from one of my harvests this weekend: More tomatoes: The plants have definately turned around health wise! Brandywine Cherokee Purple Nyagous Yashniki Yabuchar Kimberly Thessalonki I've been overwhelmed with fruit. I think only Old Timey Yellow and BHN 444 are the only ones that have not ripened fruit and this really is a strange growing season this year as I'm easily ahead on plant growth and fruit harvest by 2 to 3 weeks - but thats a good thing. Regards, Jay
    ...See More

Let it begin, let it begin!!!

Q

Comments (10)
    Happy to share I didnt share the mato!!Lol. I felt a little evil keeping it all to myself but as you say, no body helped grow it!!!!I pulled my first better boy hybrid today that has "blushed" a few days on the kitchen counter to see if it darkens will do. More tomatoes are making the change since seeing how happy I am, I know they just want to please me!! Looks like for me It has begun!!!
    ...See More

Citrus Greening - Resistant GMO testing begins

Q

Comments (0)
    Greening-Resistant GMO Oranges Come One Step Closer To Market. The Environmental Protection Agency announced last week that it has given major Florida citrus grower Southern Gardens approval for large-scale field testing of citrus trees that have been genetically engineered to resist citrus greening, a ruinous disease that has caused orange production to plummet to the lowest levels seen in decades. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/14/gmo-oranges-citrus-greening-southern-gardens_n_7244858.html
    ...See More

LET THE FUN BEGIN

Q

Comments (96)
    Hudson--I'm usually up all hours of the night so I keep an eye.out-- but after a while you get to rely on the heater that you forget. I have a propane heater for backup My wife is terminal and this week she is in a lot of pain.so I get up to give her stuff. Just hope she can hang on till the first matters get here. She talks about home grown tomatoes.l used to grow Rutgers and she would go down the hill with two five gallon pals and carry them up and can or make juice--ain't nothing like home made tomato juice. Thanks antmary-- hope I can keep them going for awhile- expecting snow the first of next week so don't want to put them out just yet.
    ...See More
  • Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

For what it's worth, these pods also have quite a bit of sodium percarbonate in them so you may not even need to use a whites powder. You could use something middle of the line, or even a liquid (which may do well on these type of stains). As long as you use the same for both loads, the difference in using the Boost pod should be evident.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What say we do one cloth with the boost pods and a white detergent and the other cloth with the boost pod and either a liquid or pod detergent of your choice Alex. Lol. What will you choose?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can cut the cloths down length wise and there will be 4 lol

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

For a liquid/pod load I would try either a Persil ProCap, a Tide detergent pod, or Persil ProClean liquid. Whatever you have and like. Unless you have another liquid detergent that's good -- like Wisk.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Are you sure you're going to have enough laundry to build loads for this? :)

• always1stepbehind
    8 years ago

Oh this is exciting...I can't wait to see the results.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

Great idea! Will watch to see how it goes!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Alex..its pathetic I know but I have all those detergents, that's why its easier for you to decide, I have a hard enough time with choosing what to use for each load I do, lol, honestly, sometimes it takes me so long to decide which detergent I'm using that I have to turn the washers dial back to wash..SICK and PATHETIC old woman Haha.

Am I sure I'll have enough laundry to build loads for this.....I've already started stockpiling kitchen washable non paper towels, I usually have a few dozen a day..so ya there will be enough.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I can't wait to see how this how the testing goes, mama. My vote would be to do four runs:

1. Tide w/ Bleach powder
    2. Tide w/ Bleach powder + Booster
    3. US Persil Pearls
    4. US Persil Pearls + Booster
  • larsi_gw
    8 years ago

This is awesome MamaP...and this is why we LOVE you. My vote goes to Tide with Bleach powder.

But, I agree with Alex! Using a Tide boost pod, you do not really even need to use Persil Pearls or Tide w/Bleach powder. The boost pods have oxygen bleach and a bleach activator. I have gotten AMAZING results using a Tide Boost pod and regular Tide powder, a Persil Pro-cap or even Tide liquid!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know if I should shake my bootie to techno or country here, my chicks are making this harder than it needs to be..soooo lets change the rules a little..we know we will be using Tide Booster Paks...the detergent however is up in the air..after thinking about this awhile I agree we don't need a WHITES detergent since were using the Booster..question is what detergents should we use?? I think it should be a contest between P$G vs HENKEL

Persil ProCaps vs Tide Pods???

Spiked, come get me boys HEELS or Its shake-n-bake and I helped BOOTS???

You all talk amoung yourselves and decide which 2 detergents were using and Pink will grab her Hot Pink Lip Stain.

This is going to be a showstopper. HAHA

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

Heels always over boots. Pink lip colour always over red. Techno always over country, LOL!!

• Jody
    8 years ago

I was thinking about doing something similar between Mexican Ariel, Tide, Persil and Sears Ultra Plus. I have a feeling that Sears would lose.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Well crap, just use my Sam's Club detergent and be done with it! As for the rest, heels, red, and Techno :)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My local Walmart doesn't have the Tide Boosters, I will try to leave town tomorrow for them.

Jody I think you should do it...all the more fun.

BUT..I wouldn't pit a phosphated detergent against one without..if your testing the detergents... Yes Sears would lose lol...BUT if spiked with phosphates at 33% I have a feeling it would surprise you..remember phosphates have and still do a better job on its own than the other several chemicals that replaced it.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Errant, I've used the Sams Club liquid detergent, its pretty good stuff. I like Sams Fabric Softener and there's usually a sample size of the detergent attached to it, I ended up with about 6 samples of detergent. .I like it. And may pick up the pods next trip there, I've heard they are good. I've also been told the Sams Automatic dish washer pods are good.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

Ketchup will come out with plain water in some cases, but definitely with Sun.

Mustard will require a decent enzyme combination for successful removal.

Honestly.. Grass Stains & Iodine would be promising, if they could be included ;)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mich there's no reason I can't include them Thank You. .

• miami mami
    8 years ago

Ok so you're going to do one load without and one load with the booster pod, right? Maybe do one load tide w bleach powder + booster, then regular tide powder + booster ? I like the pod idea too, pg versus Henkel !!

• littlegreeny
    8 years ago

Thanks for doing this test Mama! How about MOL detergent like that new A&H Biopower?

• User
    8 years ago

Any chance of getting something greasy in the test? Motor oil?

• doreycrouse
    8 years ago

As an arts and science major, what do you plan to use as your controls? Such as: Wash temp, agitation speed, wash time, standard or extra rinse, detergent amount/ mfr. recommended amount? Etc. Very interesting design. I expect powders to trump if Hot water is used whereas liquids might do better in warm. When we purchased our Duet I did a very similar trial on an old white shirt. I used Gain HE liquid and results weren't that great. Whitest Whites cycle, Hot water, steam, and heavy soil level. Worcestershire sauce and mustard remained prominent and grass, used motor oil, grape jelly, chocolate syrup, and ketchup did a lot better but I could still see outlines of most.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I haven't worked out the details yet, but I'm about to head out of town to pick up the Tide Boosters...another cloth will be stained and ready to photograph today.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I went to the neighboring town and the only Tide booster they had was the odor control one, the next closest place is an hour away and I won't be able to get there for several weeks. I don't see why these ones wouldn't be acceptable, they are a bleach booster, the only difference in these and the other ones are these contain fabreze to mask odors. So do you think I should proceed with these ones or wait, remembering these are a bleach booster containing sodium percarbonate and a bleach activator. ..Larsi what's your thoughts? All my chicks .thoughts??

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Very good question, MamaP. I had actually e-mailed P&G this exact question and only got a vague answer (try to contain your astonishment). I understand there are several varieties of the Boost pacs, but do they all contain the same amounts of added enzymes and sodium percarbonate? Is the only difference between them the fragrance and, with the Odor Eliminator, some added Febreze? What about the "bleach alternative" variety -- does it contain more oxygen bleach than the other varieties? Would love answers to these questions.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

If you look at the ingredients...it seems all the Boost pods are about the same. My Odor Rescue ones are identical to the old Victory Boost w/Febreeze.

I would get the IDENTICAL stain and whitening when using a Tide w/Bleach pod or one of my Victory Boost pods. Same thing, different scent. You know...just how P&G likes it ;)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Alex also has a good point. Do the other varietys have more Sodium percarbonate

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thonk tomorrow evening I will do the test, it can always be repeated when I get the other boosters, but these ones do list sodium percarbonate as the first ingredient..I'll do photos tomorrow before I start.

Dorey, this is a in home unscientific test, just a old lady doing another load of laundry.

I will be using a Speed Queen TL'er as that's the washer I have. I'm open here and would appricate suggestions on how I should do this, like water temp, wash time ect...one thing though..no one would throw these stains into a hot bath without a cool prewash first, otherwise the stains will set and we won't have answers...so a cool prewash..Alex how long do you think the prewash should be and since prewash requires a small amount of detergent what kind do you recommend, I usually use something cheap like Sun or powdered Purex just get a bit of surfactants in to soften the stains..opinions please? ?

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

MamaP - I absolutely agree on a prewash. It would be unfair to drop these into a screaming hot bath and expect to see anything other than oxidized stains afterward. Since my FL is not a cold-fill like Larsi's I often do a prewash and, like you, I don't think the detergent matters. Sears, Sun, Persil powder -- anything should be fine. All you're trying to do is wash away any lingering residue on the fabric and give it a fighting chance in the wash.

Following the prewash, I would fill with HOT water and then also do your soup-pot trick. If you do that don't you usually get the wash temp up around 140F?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

YEs..I do easily get 140 so that sounds good to do a 140F temp to me. Thanks Alex

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The testing will be sometime after supper today. Heres a pic showing I slid into home base, grass and mud stains, also as requested motor oil.

I will outline all the details before wash begins.

• doreycrouse
    8 years ago

This is going to be very interesting! I can't wait.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

We are on pins and needles Mama!! How awesome of you to do this. FUN!!! See how sick we all are, and how easily amused we are?!

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

MamaP - how many Boost pacs are you going to use in your full-fill top loader?

• krmarchese
    8 years ago

I am very interested in your results. While I am not a continuous follower this is a very interesting challenge. It would be interesting to test stains that have been washed & dried without special treatment - those that you find as they come out of the dryer.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Krmarchese..that would generally be an oxidized stain and would be unfair to expect any home product to shift.

Alex, I was thinking I should use two boost pods as I'm using like 17 gal. Water, however I could select small load and use one..what ya think? Yes I've saved enough non-paper towels for a full load..but what do you think?

Larsi, this goes beyond your CRAY CRAY this is a pee-pee step away from lock up. Lol

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok lets out line this

Small load of white flour cloth towels

2 stained flour cloth towels

Cool prewash about 10 minutes in wash time using 2T. Purex Powder

Wash cycle=heavy duty/normal, which gives a wash time of about 18 minutes.

Soak time 15 minutes..midway thru wash cycle

Water temp 140deg.F

1 Tide Boost Pod

1Persil ProCap

1 cold rinse

No other boosters, no phosphates, no FS.

make adjustments if you think it needs it...

Test Time is 6 PM today.

There will be pics.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

6pm is the MAGIC hour. I mean.....can you even believe we are so excited for this?!?! Pretty soon.....jackets that fasten in the back and pills portioned in small paper cups for most of us!! ;)

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Sounds good to me! Will you then immediately do the load without the Boost Pac, or will you have to wait until more laundry accumulates? :)

Again, THANK YOU for doing this. Quite scientific. Controlled. I know we're all anxious to (hopefully) confirm our hypothesis that these Boost Pacs really do work well.

Also - I like that you are using a Persil ProCap for the detergent. I think it's important to use a good detergent and show much additional boost the pods give. If you used a BOL, of course the boosted load would look better.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

@ Larsi - but those straightjackets will be PRISTINE white.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Of course they would Alex..I'll be working the residents laundry room.

• MizLizzie
    8 years ago

It is kinda pathetic how exciting I find this. ;) Thanks for doing it, Pinkie.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Wait, are you using new or used motor oil? :D

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

USed motor oil..lol.its all I could findI

• mustangs81
    8 years ago

You all are CRAY CRAY!

Now it's only 56 minutes until go. Can't wait for the results.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Please see other post titled MamaP's Test Part#1

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tide, I also have and use US Persil Pearls on occasion, I like it tremendously, I also use Tide with Bleach powder GREAT stuff, not crazy about the current scent, but it doesn't leave my clothes smelling like it does in the box so..... by the way if you can find a box of the Tide Vivid its just Tide with Bleach but has the fabulous discontinued scent. Let me know when you get that Tide opened and try it. I'll be surprised if you don't love it.