SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Need help in choosing sofa for family room

plan2remodel
8 years ago

I need to replace the aging leather sofas in my family room, which is used mainly for video-game play and board games by my son and his college-age friends. I need flexible seating, but the room is small - space is about 11.5' x 13.5'. There are typically 6-8 college students using this room on the weekends.

I'm considering three completely different sofa styles:

My son likes an 81" 2-person recliner, Arizona Leather Nicolas Sofa Recliner (1st layout below). Two design issues: this couch has a high back (43") which may look odd because it will "float" in the room, and not practical to place a coffee table directly in front of it because of the recliner.

Our designer recommended the 80" 3-seater (37" height) Our House transitional sofa - Our House is a small company in NC - no opportunity for us to see the sofa in person or try it out. With the Our House sofa, we can place a parsons-style sofa table behind it for sliding in a few bar stools. (2nd layout below)

I like the Stickley small-arm Chicago sofa (in 83" or 91" length), with the Stickley gathering table behind it for barstools, and ottomans in front of the sofa for additional seating or footrests. (Photo below is of the Chicago large-arm sofa) (3rd layout below)

What do you think would work best for flexible seating without making the room feel crowded?

Classics Collection · More Info

Comments (19)